General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Electric Brakes on a Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 06:10 PM
johno1978
|
6th Gear
Default Electric Brakes on a Trailer

HI-

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Truck. I am towing an aluminum trailer that will hold four bikes (Dual Axle). I have a Hayes-Lemmerz Synchronizer brake controller in the front of my truck. I have adjusted the sensitivity to the lowest setting. When I touch the brakes the wheels lock up immediately. It seems as if the brakes are very sensitive and are coming on too strong too early. When the trailer is empty and I am coming to a stop light the front 2 wheels lock and drag on the street. I loaded 1 bike to see if this would stop with the extra weight and it didnt. Is there a way I can adjust the starting point on this brake controller lower than the lowest setting?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2006 | 05:20 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default RE: Electric Brakes on a Trailer

ORIGINAL: johno1978

HI-

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Truck. I am towing an aluminum trailer that will hold four bikes (Dual Axle). I have a Hayes-Lemmerz Synchronizer brake controller in the front of my truck. I have adjusted the sensitivity to the lowest setting. When I touch the brakes the wheels lock up immediately. It seems as if the brakes are very sensitive and are coming on too strong too early. When the trailer is empty and I am coming to a stop light the front 2 wheels lock and drag on the street. I loaded 1 bike to see if this would stop with the extra weight and it didnt. Is there a way I can adjust the starting point on this brake controller lower than the lowest setting?

Thanks!
Pdf of the manual is here: http://aftermarket.hayes-lemmerz.com.../81725-E_d.pdf

Sounds like you are getting too much power to the breakes. the manual has a 800 service number.

Old 03-17-2006 | 11:27 PM
wsg
Intermediate

Is you trailer level you might want to lower your drawbar on the truck to put more weight on the front axle
is the trailer new or is it used if it is older adjust the brakes if they get out of adjustment they will "come on hard"
double check the wiring to make sure that it is wired ok....use a test light and adjust the controller light should dim and go bright
just some input hope it helps

Old 03-18-2006 | 12:38 PM
danmail3
Stage III

Do you have the brake controller mounted level? I have a brake controller (not the same brand) but it has to be level, or you can turn a little lever so no matter what angle you have it mounted at the lever points straight down. If its not set properly the brakes will come on very strong. Or it could be the adjustment on the brakes, did you lift the trailer and check the drag on each wheel? You should be able to just feel the shoes grabbing the drums as you turn the wheels by hand.