General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

New guy need some help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
SpiffyWilliam
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy need some help?

Hey everyone im new to HDForums this is my first post. My friends all went out and purchased crotch rockets, but i want my first bike to be a sportster. My brother-in-law is a life long Harely owner and knows alot about bikes...so my plan is to build my sporster from the ground up with his help I figure it will be a good way to learn about the bike and ill respect it alot more....My question finally[&o]...is I just need some help getting started any suggestions? frames sporster models ect. or should i just purchase a used one?.....Thanks for your time.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: New guy need some help?

Welcome to the forum. Don't forget to go to the new members section and introduce yourself. My best advice is to shop until you drop. You may want to go to a dealer and check out the different Sportster models to get informed and sit on them and see how each feels. A new bike is nice but there are always lots of low mileage bikes for sale locally and on the forums and ebay. Make sure you take a MSF course and don't let anyone fool you into thinking a Sportster is a "baby Harley" as the 1200 is the next fastest Harley to the Vrod. Harley's all come with a 2 year transferrable bumper to bumper warranty so if you get a 1 year old bike you are still covered and can get an extended warranty if you wish (shop for that as well). I won an 883XL at a fund raising auction and traded it for a Dyna 18 month later soI recommend you get a 1200 because the 883 was a bit slow for me. If you have never ridden you also may wish to get a veryused 500cc jap bike to learn on as it is much cheaper if you drop it. Just take your time. Lots of deals out there right now. If you plan on working on your bike, get a service manual as it is invaluable.

Best of luck! KB