General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

ColorMania?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ColorMania?

I have an '01 Fat Boy with a limted edition tank and fender set. The tank and fenders have sustained some dings over the years and recently my rear fender was damaged (wish I could find out who did it).

Anyway, I contacted HD about the possibility of sending my tank and fenders in to get them repainted. The rep at Harley told me that in many cases it was possible to have a LE set repainted. When he looked up my set however, he found that the set was done for HD by ColorMania. He told me that ColorMania had since gone out of business and that they had not provided HD with the graphics for my limited edition set. He did give me the paint manufacturers and paint codes for all the colors used in my set and told me that I could probably get a custom painter to reproduce the set.

I'd like to restore the set to as close to origninal as possible. So, I'd like to track down the folks that used to be with ColorMania and see if they still have the graphics and if they would repaint the set for me or at least sell me the graphics.

I'm hoping that someone here may know what happened to the folks at ColorMania and how I might contact them. What I've found from my research thus far is that, to my knowledge, ColorMania was located somewhere in California. Rumor has it that they were bought out by Harley. But, I've been unable to confirm that. If anyone has any leads on this, I'd appreciate it greatly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6473/96C30494250C4FB6B7E2B1A24C9ACFFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Hodado
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint set

So if Colormania is not reccomended;can anyone tell me where to check?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Abbinc83
Road Master

I used colormania and I had no issues whats so ever. Not telling you to use them, just saying for me I have no complaints. They did my two fenders and rock guards for $595 thats shipped to me and everything I had to cover shipping to them though. The paint matched my tank perfect. They got my tins on tuesday and was ready to ship back the next evening.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:43 PM
BikeFan1
Stage I
Default colormania???

Hi,
i do not know what problems Dozer69 has had but no company is the perfect company and its hard to keep everyone happy.
I have had dealings with Colormania for a few years now and have nothing but praise for them to be honest. Their paint is phenomenal like other posts have said and their prices are very fair. i couldn't ask for anything else. Amazing Paint at a good price.
To Hodado........dont take my or Dozer69 word for it give Colormania a call yourself and see what they can do for ya. there is thousands of bikes out there with a Colormania paintjob thats says A LOT.
Im not saying they are perfect but they are darn good at what they do and many seem to know it. I was recommended them myself.
hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
dtwade
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used them. I went back & forth by email for a couple of weeks, then I spoke on the phone with Cory for about an hour before making a decision. I've had trouble with custom painters before, as everyone has & I explained each of my concerns in detail. He is knowlegable & genuinely seems to care.We worked together on a design & he said it would take 2-3 weeks (more on this later!). I had a set of Wide Glide tins lying around & he accepted them as my exchange metal. I sent them to him in advance, so I didn't have to pay the core deposit & then wait for a credit to come later. After I signed the work order & paid them 50% for the work, I didn't hear from them. I trusted his word at 2-3 weeks & I didn't bother them. The end of the 3rd week came & I tried to reach Cory. No response to emails & he always "just stepped out" when I called. 4 weeks, 5 weeks still no response. Finally, I sent him an email begging him to call me & he did. He stated that the painter went one to many coats of candy, which changed the color & they had to start over. He said "you may not have noticed it but I wanted it to be right". Did this actually happen? I don't know. It's possible & having worked with candies myself I can see it happening. It's also a convenient excuse, so who knows. Anyway, I finally got my stuff after 8 weeks. It took a lot longer than he stated but the paint is near flawless.(plus I did tell him I'd rather wait a little longer than rush them & get a less than perfect paint job). Very nice work & at a good price. They did paint "Colormania" on the lower edge of my tank. You really have to look for it it but it's there. All said & done, I'm happy with my bike.
The only thing that really bothered me was how easy he was to reach & how quickly responded to every email before I signed the work order. After I signed the work order, I was ignored. I felt like he he truly cared about me & my bike until he got the work order. Them I guess he felt he made the sale & moved on. I was disappointed by that kind of treatment.
Also, I was very thorough before I decided to use them. They're website states that they are more expensive than other custom shops but you should expect a better product. Just for the record, I got a 2 tone paint job ($795), one of the colors was marblized (another $200) plus painted pinstriping & "Harley-Davidson" (another $150). My costs was exactly as stated on the work order & not a dime more. It's a top quality paint job for under $1200 (which is quite reasonable). My previous paint job was done locally by a reputable custom painter & cost me $2500. It was not near the quality I got from Colormania.

I spoke with Cory the other day. I called to order some of his "Diamondblend" polish. He remembered my job took a little longer than expected so he sent me a bottle of his polish & a microfiber cloth free of charge! The polish alone is $27 without the cloth & freight. He didn't have to do that.