General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Oil blowing back through Carb.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Maxattack
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil blowing back through Carb.

I have a1200 93 sporster, after a long ride I always get a thin smear of oil on the outside of theoil tankandexhaust. I think oil is blowing back through the carb. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil blowing back through Carb.

The oil breather in the air cleaner is where the oil is coming from. If you have your oil completely full, it will blow it out sometimes. It is normal, when I say normal, I mean, it's a Harley and they say it is normal. There are aftermarket systems that will prevent it from blowin oil all over you motor, leg and exhaust. This is a frequently asked question on here, so the search feature should help you out finding some solutions to the problem. I always run my oil 1/4 qt low from full just to prevent this from happening, I know that isn't the best option, but it keeps the oil from blowing out. I too am amazed that a 2008 HD still does this, you would think they would fix this, it would not cost them anything to do this, but as long as people keep buying the problems they keep making them. And they always blame their problems on the EPA. I think they are purposely doing this and then they will say, hey, we can fix all of your problems by putting the revolution motor (vrod) in the rest of the line of bikes. That would take care of the overheating issues, oil blowing out, crank shafts out of true causing motors to blow, weak bearings in the crank and cams, the list goes on and on.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
fbn ent
Cruiser

You can get a kit that will route the oil away from the air cleaner and through a hose to atmosphere. Not exactly EPA friendly but the oil is outside anyway, right. Check out an indy shop. It might take a bit of doing to make it fit right but it will take the oil away.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Maxattack
Stage II

Thanks for all the information. I have only used this forum twice but each time Igot brilliant feedback and information.I'm going to spend lots of time here to get an education.

Cheers.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
72fl
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

route a 3/8" hose from back of carb plate down along the frame you can add a small round case breather also