General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Heated Gear Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
davidtn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Gear Tips?

So I ride my bike today in 35 degrees. First time with heated gear. Gloves, vest and pants. For the most part stayed warm although after about 30 miles my feet started to get a little cold so I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and get the heated socks.

Anybody with a lot of experience riding with heated gear care to share any helpful hints? I was somewhat disappointed in the pants as they didn't get as warm as I'd hoped for. I did notice that when my ride was over that I didn't have my thermostat controller turned all the way to maximum heat. It was probably 85% turned. I hope the additional 15% will make a difference next time. The gloves worked fine and my vest was awesome although my arms did get a wee bit cold.

I'm just glad I'm now able to extend my riding season.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default RE: Heated Gear Tips?

ORIGINAL: davidtn

Anybody with a lot of experience riding with heated gear care to share any helpful hints?...
Wind is your enemy...that's why so many talk about wind chill values. Forty degree temps at highway speeds equal well below freezing conditions. Take measures to reduce the wind chill affect whenever possible.

Heated socks should help. Beware of those with bulky wires on the bottom of the foot. They heat well but are very uncomfortable for walking.

Separate thermostats for different pieces of gear may be of value...the socks can be set to one temp while your vest is set at another.

And speaking of vests, while you already have a heated vest, a heated jacket liner provides warmth to the arms. Make sure either fit well...the garment needs to be close to the body to provide needed heat.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the garment needs to be close to the body to provide needed heat.
This is what I was going to suggest. Fit is key with heated gear. You sure the pant liners fit as they ought to?

CN

Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its the liner things the outter garment will usually hold them close enough for them to heat as suppose to.
I have the Gerbing heated socks that go under the foot and I would not have anything else.My toes get the cold first and the bottom of the toes get the coldest. So heating the top of the toe is better than nothing but that is not like heating the cold part. And the wires are barely noticeable when walking anyways. And if I am going to the mall for a 3mile walking trip I might wear something else or change them off.
35* means wide open. But if you got the otter pants they do lose alot of heat off to the outside air. The liner type garment heat more cause the outter jacket or pants or whatever helps hold the liner heat in so they retain their heat better. You mihgt try some chaps over the heated pants and that should help alot.