General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Oil Pressure Idiot Light???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
jseabee
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Idiot Light???

I have never been a big fan of idiot lights because I prefer to see a gauge any day of the week. Here is the issue though, after completely redoing the upper end of my motor because the other idiot who owned it before me used RTV silicone seal with all the gaskets clogging some oil ports and just made a mess of the heads.

I cleaned it all up and two things, I can't remember for the life of me which side the umbrella valves go to on the spacer plate for the valve covers, and the book does not say or even mention them for my year or make. Secondly, after a few adjustments to get it running smoothly, I noticed that the oil pressure idiot light comes on after a few minutes of the engine warming up. when I shut it off and restart, it is off for a little bit and then comes back on again. Any suggestions don't want to damage the engine because I love to ride and will ride all day everyday.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:05 PM
jseabee
5th Gear
Default RE: Oil Pressure Idiot Light???

Totally brain farted, the bike in question that I am talking about is a 99 Custom Softail

Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Greybeard Bob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'd say first of all you need to get a gen-u-wine Harley service manual for your bike, and maybe a parts book too, they will show you how to put it back together correctly. I don't know where the unbrellas go, shovels don't have them. As far as the oil pressure goes, maybe some of your RTV fell down in the engine somewhere and is clogging a passage as you said. By the symptoms, that is kinda what it sounds like to me. Need to check out the oil passages and see if they are blocked. Sender bad or flaky? Oil pump taking a dump? Kinda doubt that. Oil bag full of correct oil? You used correct new gaskets, etc when you put it back together? I know I'm not being a lot of help here, just some thoughts right off the top. JMHO, YMMV, etc. Good luck, keep us posted.

Bob

Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 AM
jseabee
5th Gear

Thanks for the info, I used all of the correct parts and materials, I have an actual service manuel for the bike, and after further research on the internet I was able to find that the umbrella valves go on the intake side of the covers to prevent oil from collecting in the air filter from rundown.

I havereplaced the oil sending unit witha 60 psi gauge, 2 oil changes (20W-50)check all of the the lines, pulled the oil filter (even replaced it, no help), crankcase drain plug, and cleaned the crankcase oil screen; all areas were full of oil. I even pulled the dipstick after the engine got up to spead to see if the oil was circulating (big mistake) oil went everywhere. So the oil is circulating. I plan on retorquing the headbolts this week and seeing if that makes any difference.

With a cold start I have 50 psi of oil pressure at Idle and gradually decreases to 0 psi at Idle after about 15 minutes, good and warm, bump the throttle and the oil pressure jumps to 10+ psi. Totally confused and just want to ride.

Thanks,
John