General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Heated Clothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Clothing

I have been looking at Gerbing's heated clothing. What is the minimun set up to buy. I was thinking, vest gloves and control module?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Heated Clothing

That the set up I use in NE Ohio, except I have the jacket instead of the vest. Depending on the temps, I'll use longjohns plus chaps if needed and my Harley boots. Been out at 25 degrees with a 10 mph wind with no problems.... except the face shield fogging up at the traffic lights. Definetely get the control module, most often all you need is a low setting to keep the chill off and the blood in your hands & feet.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 PM
flavoflav
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dlrshort

I have been looking at Gerbing's heated clothing. What is the minimun set up to buy. I was thinking, vest gloves and control module?
I would go full jacket and would add socks - I find that if my torso and arms and feet are warm then I am good to go... the jacket is awesome - I have thegloves and have never worn them - they are too hot.

then again I live in CA where it does not get all that cold.

J -

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM
repsol
Intermediate

I have the gloves not module so i get the default heat. They work awesome. I was from Seattle and rode rain or shine with a leather jacket and heated gloves. They are a life saver. This will be my first winter in Arizona don't know if I will even need them. I will let you know.

I am not sure about the rest of the clothing, but the gloves seem to be real quality.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spring for the jacket liner rather than vest. I have two vests from other companies and still bought a Gerbings jacket liner. The heated sleeves are nice. It's nice to have the vests as well, though. I have gloves as well. I see the socks in my future, and maybe the pants liner.

CN

Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 PM
toprofile
Tourer

Anyone ever use those disposable heating pads (for back pain) for a quick cold fix??

Only need a fix now and then here in FL, but at $10 a ten pack it seems reasonable to throw a couple in the saddlebag for an extra cold snap.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Riff156
Intermediate

Disposable heating pads sound like a reasonable alternative for areas where it doesn't get too cold.

I have the Gerbings jacket liner, gloves and control module. Keeps me perfectly comfortable all winter. I especially like the heated sleaves and neck of the jacket liner. Skip the vest, go for the liner IMO.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on the person. You live in an area that can get cold and damp. But some people feel the cold a lot more than others. personally, as long as my core temp is good, so is the rest of me. I would only buy the vest, if anything. My wife, OTOH, needs a heated bubble to sit in.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

I have a trickle charger hook up. Can I use the plug to connect to the Gelbing clothing, or do you have to buy an adaptor?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dlrshort
I have a trickle charger hook up. Can I use the plug to connect to the Gelbing clothing, or do you have to buy an adaptor?
How about just getting a 100 foot extension cord and ride up and down your driveway.........Or in a 100 foot circle...

BTW....what the hell does your screen name mean?????

Quick Reply: Heated Clothing