General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Help With Helmet Choices, Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 03:52 PM
MidWest XL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Helmet Choices, Please

Being this is the first bike I've actually owned (I've ridden many others in the past, but were friends bikes) I went shopping for helmets yesterday. After trying a few and wearing them for 10 or 15 minutes or so, I kept on going back to this particular one becasue of fit and I liked it better than the traditional "skid lid" style that drops down after the ear. This one dropped down right after the temple. I ended up getting a fiberglass vented Vega half helmet with a zip out cold weather neck curtain and a detachable visor. I did not try on any of the full face or 3/4 helmets. But now that I have it home, I am thinking about trading it in for a full face version. When talking with the sales person he said that the full face helmets are not as heavy as some proclaimed (tossing your head around in the case of a wreck) and some have a pivoting chin bar that lets you lift it to cool off when needed. He also said that they provide protection for your face and where most fatal head injuries occur; at the base of the skull where it attaches to your spine. He wasn't trying to hard sell me on any particular one, and told me to buy what felt best to me and what style I liked. He probably spent a good 20 minutes with me describing the differences between the styles before letting me start trying them on. It's still way to crappy out here to ride and will probably be so until late April or May before I get out so I have time and I'm coming here for some recommendations. I know the full face helmets don't have the "cool factor" the skid lid & half helmets do and that heat build up is an issue with the full face helmets in the summer. What do you folks have? And do you have any advice and/or experience you could share in helping me make my decision?

Old 02-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Iceman
Tourer
Default RE: Help With Helmet Choices, Please

well, let me say this. the best protection you are going to get is from a snell rated full face helmet. everything else just doesnt come close, really. i wear a "novelty" type german helmet, but i also own a full face (from my sprotbike days) the open face helmets are just more fun to wear. in the even of a wreck, i think they would provide little or no protection. the experience of riding a harley just isnt the same to me with a full face helmet.
you need to goet what fits your needs. if safety is the #1 concern, there is no other choice but the full face. as fa as the ones where the front part pivots up, they are better than nothing, but not near as "safe" as the regular full face.

let us know what you come up with!!!! good luck!

Old 02-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Markcuda
Banned

And do you have any advice and/or experience you could share in helping me make my decision?
I tell all of my peeps, get what YOU like, don't worry about what others think

Old 02-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I have an arai full face quantum/f. I agree with the cool factor mentioned above with a half helmet...BUT...how cool is it to walk around w/o a lower jaw b/c you had nothing to protect it in a crash. I really fight with this issue b/c I like the wind in your face feeling, but I am one to not throw caution to the wind. So, I say get a full face. The arai are expensive, however I got mine when they were coming out with the 2004 model. Mine is a 2003 and I paid around $325 for it which saved me about $125. It is a cool (temp.) helmet that isn't heavy and I get to where I don't notice it. One PITA is I wish someone made one of those transitional type lenses for a face shield. I hate having to carry sunglasses b/c it's way to bright out, but know when I get back, it will be getting darker. As far as the flip up front helmets go, I think they tend to be a bit heavier than a regular full face b/c of the internal workings that make that helmet what it is. My first helmet was the Harley one that flipped up which is really cool if you smoke, but it was heavier, and the air didn't flow well through it, so it tended to be rather hot. Go to this website: Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine, they show tests online of flip up and regular full face helmets. Good luck with your decision, it can be tough.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Phil R
Intermediate

I have read several articles about the majority of helmut/ immovable object contact that occurs in a crash happens in the chin/ lower face area. As a result, I wear a full face helmut.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I would buy a helmet that you are comfortable wearing and that you like visually. You can always go to a novelty or smaller helmet as your riding experience increases, and you gain more confidence, should you feel the need to do so. I ride with a novelty helmet, cause I dont like wearing a helmet, and there is not as much wind drag with it.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

[&:]
I have been riding 30+ years (I hate to say how long) and spent a good (bad?) portion riding without and with novelity helmets. After having a couple of cars trying to take me out (and severly damaging a helmet) and taking a rider safety course I have opted for the Harley Davidson Full Face Flip Up. The critical issue is to have a helmet that is comfortable as I have a famous brand full face helmet in my garage which was so uncomfortable and contrary to what some salesmen will say, the fit did not get any better and I did not get used to the fit. I like the flip up as I can easily put the helmet on with glasses still on, I can take a drink without having to remove the helmet, and this one has several vents and face shield positions to allow air passage. Good Luck!!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM
HDescape
4th Gear

I was making the same decisions two weeks ago when I made the conversion from my vacation between my sport bike days to the Harley. I was simply too concerned with the "cool factor". I've decided that the top or back of my head is no good without the front (I'm certain that is what my daughter would think anyway).

I do agree with everyone else though; it is truly what makes you the most comfortable. By the way, since you can buy several full helmets with the Harley Logo than those too must be cool!

Drew

Old 02-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear 1/2 helmets with removeable side curtains. I think its a matter of personal preference. I like em cuz their lite and eazy to get on with my glasses.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:00 PM
MidWest XL
Tourer

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

TxMoores, can you tell m more about your Harley full-face helmet?

Quick Reply: Help With Helmet Choices, Please