General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

"Voluntary" Recall by Harley Davidson (After lawsuit!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 AM
mike077
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Voluntary" Recall by Harley Davidson (After lawsuit!)

Will Harley Davidson recognize and repair a problem on their own?
VIDEO http://www.firstcoastnews.com/video/...112521&bw=

Print article http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/n...?storyid=93059

Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
elcid1989
Road Captain
Default RE: "Voluntary" Recall by Harley Davidson (After lawsuit!)

from what I hear and read of this, it sounds like the moco already has. However, back in 06, I took a test ride of a v-rod and told the stealer at the time that the placement of the exhaust was a bad idea when after only 30 minutes riding, I had a hot spot on my right calf above my boot. I have seen after market pipes for this bike that seem to be routed better, and don't look like they would burn you as bad.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:35 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is somewhat isolated,but H-D did the right thing in doing a recall. FYI: they no longer produce this model V-Rod.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I am no defender of big business, but... did the guy go back to the dealer with his complaint? Shouldn't that be the first step and give them a chance to make it right. The guy and his lawyer said the "first" thing you should do is make a complaint to a regulatory agency, get a lawyer, and go for some money. What? Shouldn't that be what you do if you don't get a satisfactory response from the dealer and manufacturer? Sounds like the guy was looking for some free money. Guess I'm old fashioned, but I always give someone a chance to make a problem right. Then, if you get blown off you come back with everything you got and kick some ***; not the other way around.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
HogGlider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: OregonRoadKing

I am no defender of big business, but... did the guy go back to the dealer with his complaint? Shouldn't that be the first step and give them a chance to make it right. The guy and his lawyer said the "first" thing you should do is make a complaint to a regulatory agency, get a lawyer, and go for some money. What? Shouldn't that be what you do if you don't get a satisfactory response from the dealer and manufacturer? Sounds like the guy was looking for some free money. Guess I'm old fashioned, but I always give someone a chance to make a problem right. Then, if you get blown off you come back with everything you got and kick some ***; not the other way around.
I have to agree with you there man. in today's society everyody is sue happy and will find any way possibly to get free stuff or make a quick buck. Whatever happened to the REAL working class people?

After looking at the article, and the pictures...the idiot deserved what he got (injury wise). That severe burn could have been prevented by wearing some appropriate riding gear...like something less "fashionable" and something more practical, like a boot that went above your ankle. Of course with the fact that his pants were on fire, the boots wouldn't completely prevent the burns, it certainly would have prevented them from being so significant.

Maybe it is just my experience with welding in past jobs, but wouldn't you also have a hint of the fourthcoming when your legs started to feel warmer than it really should? I mean, if this guy just looked down and his pants were on fire, they had to have been up against the exhaust for a while. jeans don't juststart on fire right away, it takes a bit to get going. With that in my head and being my first ride on the bike I would have went to the dealer to voice concerns of the excessive heat right away, but clearly most of us have that priceless bit of information called "COMMON SENSE."

It was good to see the MOCO step up to the plate on this and do the recall yes, but did it really have to come down to a lawsuit? Probably not, if the owners of these machines made claims with their dealers about the issue this probably would have been addressed long ago, and outside of the courts.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If more of these people would take things into consideration like, "If you are worried about getting hurt---don't ride a mororcycle"
And for this dummy "when your foot gets hot...move it!!!"
I am so tired about hearing law suits against HD