General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

spark plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Geoc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug problem

Got a little problem here. frist I replaced my plugs yesterday well one was not tighting right well it wont seal all the way I think my plug hole stripped. my question is now what do I do?

Old 12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: spark plug problem

Crying comes to mind!

First try to get a thread chaser for the plug hole. Grease the threads up big time and try to ease the chaser in. The grease should catch most of the cuttings. If the chaser works, use a small light and check the chamber for any junk. Get all of it out.

If you aren't comfortable with the chaser, pull the head and repair it with a helicoil or similar repair.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

one was not tighting right well it wont seal all the way I think my plug hole stripped.
From what you say here, it sounds like it is cross threaded and that it didn't go all the way in. If that is the case do as Skip suggests with the thread chaser and see what you get, as a last resort you can pull the head to repair the damaged threads. You may also consider the use of a timesert which is stronger than a helicoil in this situation to repair the damage.. http://www.timesert.com/

You could atempt this without disassembly, but great care must be taken to remove any shavings from the cylinder before starting the motor.

When reinstalling the plugs, don't forget to use antiseize on the threads.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:06 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cross threading most likely. People should always install sparkplugs by hand until the plug seats on the face of the plug hole. Anyway, if you really jacked down on the cross threaded plug with a wrench, you need to pull that head for cylinder cleanup and thread repair. Dont even attempt to leave it on. A good number of metal shavings have already entered the chamber most likely.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:57 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

one was not tighting right well it wont seal all the way I think my plug hole stripped.
From what you say here, it sounds like it is cross threaded and that it didn't go all the way in. If that is the case do as Skip suggests with the thread chaser and see what you get, as a last resort you can pull the head to repair the damaged threads. You may also consider the use of a timesert which is stronger than a helicoil in this situation to repair the damage.. http://www.timesert.com/

You could atempt this without disassembly, but great care must be taken to remove any shavings from the cylinder before starting the motor.

When reinstalling the plugs, don't forget to use antiseize on the threads.
Yeah, timesert! I always forget the name. Much better than the helicoil kit.