General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 07:15 PM
Ghetto blaster
Road Master

To the OP, regardless of condensation, leaving it inside uncovered (with a fan) is your best option, beats leaving out in the elements, and if you have any chrome doodads maybe give them a good wipe down with some PB blaster.

Old Yesterday | 07:29 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Addicted to Chaos
I cover the bike with a breathable cover and put a desiccant pack under the bike which I replace once a month..
How often do you check the pack, does it actually last a month?

I only park bikes in garage, so I am not introducing melting snow and air, so for me it is a little different. But I also suspect people are worrying a little to much. You ride the bike in the rain. If it was a classic I might worry more.

It does cross my mind when it sweats in the spring. But it will also do that once in a great while in the summer if I open the door.

At work when we got cabinets we don't want corrosion we install heaters. If you really wanted to get into this, you could build a crate around it and put a heater in it. Not saying i would.

Old Yesterday | 09:52 PM
Addicted to Chaos
Tourer

I'm pretty OCD so I check the pack pretty regularly. It typically could go longer than a month but that is an easy interval to remember.

I wish I only parked bikes in the garage

It probably is a little overkill. When I was a young pup I would park my Harley in my parent's garage over the winter and forget about it. Never had an issue.

Old Today | 07:17 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I heard john deere invented fluid fil, to ship tractors overseas. True or not, I don't know, but it would probably work. Oil down bike before storage just like a gun.

Old Today | 07:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've stored my scooters with an indoor cover in an unheated Michigan garage forever ... Late in the winter there may be some condensation which has not effected anything ... They still look like new ... I wish I looked as good as they do