General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Changed Clutch Cable...Intermittent Dead Short

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 06:51 PM
roussfam
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Changed Clutch Cable...Intermittent Dead Short

Changed my clutch cable last night, 07 FLHT. Went on a HOG ride today, was told my brake light was not working (running light is)....

When I got home, I checked the fuse, it was blown. Mickey Moused a circuit breaker instead of blowing 100 fuses to trouble shoot, lol. As I was playing with the fuse panel, the short stopped, my brake light worked and then the short was back

The last thing I did was the clutch cable and it was a PITA to route it through the fairing, not exactly flexible so I thought maybe I pinched something.

I gave the fairing a whack with my hand the short stopped. So I removed the fairing and I could get the CB to trip and to stop by wiggling various wires, great I thought. But then I couldn't get it to act up anymore, CB wasn't tripping. After about 40 minutes of pulling wires (but not my own) I gave up, it was working, eff it. The minute I was done reinstalling the fairing I tuned the key on, and BAM, blew the fuse......Ahhh tormorrow's another day

I took a look at the Electrical Schematics, I started at the fuse and started tracing back (the other end of the bike where I think the problem is). Following the schematic.... same color yup, the same pin number yup,....the olive/green wire on Pin 2 continues at connector 1b. Yup Pin 2 on the next connector is the olive/green wire.

...(Forgot to add this next part when I posted)...

I just wish it told you where the connectors were located on the bike. May end up having to remove the seat and the tank as well to trace wiring.

Last edited by roussfam; Today at 07:52 AM.
Old Today | 02:16 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

My first thought would be to look for wire/wiring up against or pinched to the braces or something metal to intermittently short to a ground.
Have seen a 20 wire part of a harness against a fairing brace and one single wire had a nick in it blowing a fuse ever now and again.

Good Luck WP

Old Today | 06:05 PM
roussfam
|
Seasoned HDF Member

That's basically what is was.

So today, Day 2, I turn the ignition switch on to the accessories position, my breaker/test light setup is tripping non stop. Remove the fairing and it all stops, just great, how am I going to trouble shoot this if it doesn't act up with the fairing off. So I check all around the clutch cable routing, everything looks good. I start pushing and pulling different parts of the harness, trips once, can't repeat it.

As you're looking at the fairing from the front, it was the area center left, in front of the inner fairing mounting bracket. The larger pieces of harness have loom on them, in this area there were two sections of harness about the size of your baby finger wrapped in electrical tape. I managed to pull these away and the electrical tape is all worn away on the back side of the harness where it was rubbing on the bracket.. I can see the wires, insulation looks good on the one, on the other, the insulation on one of the wires is scuffed likes it's been rubbing but I can't see any bare copper.

So I tape them up again and do a little cable management, reinstall the fairing, removed my circuit breaker and install a fuse. Brake light works. Go for a spin, all good (for now, lol)

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (Today)