General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Charging for oil changes, brakes, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2024, 10:10 AM
Ghostrider_7211
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell ive caused a war on here 😂
I do appreciate all the input, the very few upsides and the downsides. Im a firm believer in you have to look at anything in life from both sides of the fence, in this case it did open my eyes more. Ill just work on my own stuff got a lot to do this winter. 🏍

Old 09-17-2024, 10:23 AM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

OP,
If someone offered mobil bike service i would be all in! My local Ford dealer now offers mobil service and its fantastic, with a 50% off coupon its 1/2 less than talking that car in, the tech backs his truck into my drive, has bulk fluid hoses like the dealer, will change my fluids, rotate tires, change wiper blades, air filters and can actually perform some "work" as in "some" recall work but I love it as I can watch the tech close and make sure the oil is not over filled or the wrong oil installed. I tipped the guy once $20 and I get perfect Ford service every time!

If I could get a mobil oil and filter ( and that required every 2 year ABS brake flush) done via a mobil mechanic that was 100% professional, I would pay and schedule a year out if needed. ANYTHING to keep me from having to visit a dealer for regular service . The dealer experience is why I do my own service but like my Ford, IF I could watch a pro do the work in my driveway and me watch and know he is doing it correct the older I get the more I don't want to do it myself.

Consider mobil motorcycle service OP, you got a truck or van and a website, FaceBook etc ? just a thought OP and would get you out of the house and offer a much needed service...,
Also being mobil it would be all appointment based and scheduled so you could do it as full time or as part time as you want. If one does it at a home or business people expect you to be open at least M-F 9-5 You could also hire a tech to drive your truck and start making money on your day off. Good luck!

Last edited by Soundman5000; 09-17-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:08 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 3,748 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostrider_7211
Hell ive caused a war on here 😂
No worries, just wouldn't want someone with a "no risk, no reward" philosophy touching my sh*t. Give it a go, start small, see if it's for you.

The following users liked this post:
Ghostrider_7211 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
WRE4U
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts

You could always have your "friends" or "clients" sign a "friendly" release, basically stating you are not held liable for "anything" relating to their bike, knowing you are not a licensed "professional" (if you catch my drift) no signing, nor workee

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,767 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
That is what I figured, hence my question above.
I know you did not ask for any of this "advice' and I won't say anymore after.

I did the same thing long ago, I wrenched for a living on swing shift from 4:00 to 1:00 am, and then wrenched for trucking customers on the side out of my shop building engines and transmissions on the side to get extra money for the toys I wanted as a young man. I let them talk me into it, I did not even go looking for this

This spun out of control after about a year. You THINK you are doing people a favor by giving them quality work for less than half what a shop would charge, but in reality people (and friends) suck when it comes to money. It was never done fast enough, any mistakes were never handled the way they wanted, and then when I dared to go on vacation. one guy marched into the branch where I actually worked looking for me and complained to my boss that he had injector jobs lined up for me due to fuel contamination and he could not reach me. I nearly lost my job.

All this to say...be careful. I have known many techs in my career, and many of us have done this "on the side" and I have yet to find one guy that did not lose at least one friend over it.
I used to offer to do some work from 2000-2005. Harley shops were backed up 3-4 weeks for standard oil changes then. I charged half of what the HD shop was charging. I also did the emergency belt change occasionally. People grumbled that "a 'true' brother would do it for free". I replied "a true brother" would not drop off a bike for me to work on taking up my riding time.

I hate to say it, but the folks who have the older 10+ year old bikes usually do their own work. And if they did not do their own work, would not want to pay even half the going shop rates. If you have not worked on 10+ year old bikes, that has been sold 2-3 times, you do not not know the issues that can occur. That simple oil change? Well the current owner has not changed the oil for 8000 miles, and the drain plug is held in with JB Weld. And all that person knows is that you touched it last, so you broke it, and you must repair it at no additional cost. Now a 30-60 minute simple job becomes a 3 hour job. And now you have someone, usually in your social circle, that will tell everyone else that you broke their bike and refused to "fix it properly".

Last edited by Goose_NC; Yesterday at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goose_NC:
Old New Rider (Yesterday), Trumpet (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

When I was working I really appreciated new tire and windshield service for my truck, cause I worked too many hours back then and didn't even have time for a bike.

Now retired, I still like that service today at home. More food for contemplation.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by WRE4U
You could always have your "friends" or "clients" sign a "friendly" release, basically stating you are not held liable for "anything" relating to their bike, knowing you are not a licensed "professional" (if you catch my drift) no signing, nor workee
For a donation. To your favorite charity.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 3,748 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
For a donation. To your favorite charity.
Charity begins at home

Old Today, 07:34 AM
92evo
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a reason a lot of independent shops go out of business.