General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Charging for oil changes, brakes, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 04:50 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Good thing the Davidson Bros never posted here. We would be arguing about oil for the Thunder Stroke instead of the M8.

Old 09-15-2024, 10:40 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 344 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
That is what I figured, hence my question above.
I know you did not ask for any of this "advice' and I won't say anymore after.

I did the same thing long ago, I wrenched for a living on swing shift from 4:00 to 1:00 am, and then wrenched for trucking customers on the side out of my shop building engines and transmissions on the side to get extra money for the toys I wanted as a young man. I let them talk me into it, I did not even go looking for this

This spun out of control after about a year. You THINK you are doing people a favor by giving them quality work for less than half what a shop would charge, but in reality people (and friends) suck when it comes to money. It was never done fast enough, any mistakes were never handled the way they wanted, and then when I dared to go on vacation. one guy marched into the branch where I actually worked looking for me and complained to my boss that he had injector jobs lined up for me due to fuel contamination and he could not reach me. I nearly lost my job.

All this to say...be careful. I have known many techs in my career, and many of us have done this "on the side" and I have yet to find one guy that did not lose at least one friend over it.
This right here.

You don't really know your friends until you get money involved. You find out who's real, real quick. Same with relatives. You seriously only have a few really good friends in life that share same values as you. If you want to find out the hard way to scratch your itch, go right ahead. You may have asked to find validation, but you're not gonna find it here from the wizers.

The following 5 users liked this post by Old New Rider:
aharleyrider (09-15-2024), brakeless (09-15-2024), NorthWestern (09-15-2024), pgreer (09-15-2024), Trumpet (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 11:30 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,682 Likes on 2,721 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
This right here.

You don't really know your friends until you get money involved. You find out who's real, real quick. Same with relatives. You seriously only have a few really good friends in life that share same values as you. If you want to find out the hard way to scratch your itch, go right ahead. You may have asked to find validation, but you're not gonna find it here from the wizers.
Along the lines of the old saying "Never loan money to friends or family." Not like it's never been heard of.

Old 09-15-2024, 12:20 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 192 Likes on 103 Posts

I say do it!
Open you a small business! but do it smart as with insurance. I always cary 1-1.5 mil on me general liability just in case as I do all kinds of work on the side. I think I pay $50 to $75 a month for the insurance on me. I learned the hard way that I don't work on other peoples bikes. I tried to help a buddy put forward controls on his bike 25 years ago ( He, not me but he stripped the bolts ) he freaked out on me and I thought It was gonna get bad quick. I got him to calm down, I then drilled his stripped bolts out and fixed his mess up and sent him on his way and told myself and him that I would NEVER touch another person bike.

I have leaned the hard way with bikes, people computers and most anything inside a drunk rich ladies house, it never ends well for me if I touch it!

Old 09-15-2024, 03:04 PM
Ghostrider_7211
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the days of shade tree mechanics/in the garage (in this case lol) are long gone. These days real friends are far and few. I thought it would be a good idea but like someone said i might just scratch my own itch, got my bike, my dads, and my papaw left me his 72 shovelhead when he passed away. Looking forward to getting back to work on it this winter! I appreciate everyones opinions, might just do it here and there if it comes up but wont press it too much. If its meant to happen itll come to be.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 03:09 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

I like the idea of it in theory as side job. And maybe for some it can grow on its own with right people. I just don't have the ambition to chase customers. I'll help people.

That it seems these days my own list of things I should do is pretty long.

When I was young I wanted business. But like everything else those crazy dreams just came and went.

Maybe not that hungry these days either

Old 09-15-2024, 06:50 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,207 Likes on 3,747 Posts

I don't think he wants to actually open a "business" It's the fantasy of working on bikes and making a few bucks on the side. The only problem is once he starts charging, it's a business.

I used to like building and upgrading computers. Set myself up to make a few bucks, got a business license,pretty soon the hobby that I enjoyed turned into a job, along with all the BS that goes along with it. That was the end of that.

The following 2 users liked this post by roussfam:
Ghostrider_7211 (09-16-2024), Old New Rider (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 07:23 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

You scratched my paint dude. No a touch up won't match . People will run all kinds of scams on you.

The following 3 users liked this post by smitty901:
brakeless (09-16-2024), Soundman5000 (09-15-2024), Trumpet (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 04:28 AM
Ghostrider_7211
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
I don't think he wants to actually open a "business" It's the fantasy of working on bikes and making a few bucks on the side. The only problem is once he starts charging, it's a business.

I used to like building and upgrading computers. Set myself up to make a few bucks, got a business license,pretty soon the hobby that I enjoyed turned into a job, along with all the BS that goes along with it. That was the end of that.
exactly what i was trying to say right here, i guess thats one good way to look at it, a person can always step away especially when its not a main income.

Old 09-16-2024, 05:55 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

Liability.
Too many horror stories.
Many good comments above.
OP's goal is admirable, but I would vote not to start this venture.

Quick Reply: Charging for oil changes, brakes, etc