General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Help on model choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
CoopKC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on model choice

Howdy all,

I'm looking into buying a harley and have some trouble deciding between models. I'm not the most dainty critter to ever meander across the plains; let's just say I don't miss much meat & potatoes.

It's been probably 15 years or better since I rode a bike, and even then I never did ride many bikes. I mostly road ATVs, 3 & 4 wheelers. It'd be safe to classify me as a complete newbie with bikes at this point.

I'm looking at the Heritage Softtail Classic, and the Road King Classic. I was originally looking at the road king because I'm originally from Montana, and like to try to get home at least once a year from Kansas City. It's about an 1,100 mile trip, which lead me down the road king route. Keep in mind that's down the road a few years. No way in hell i plan making a tip like that without a year or two of local riding under by belt. However, starting to wonder if the heritage might be a better choice for a new rider.

I'm about 6', although most of my length is in the torso. I've only got a 30" inseam, which would probably be fine for either model, but it's not a lot of extra room.

At the moment I'm signed up for a basic rider course in a couple months (man those fill up fast), and I'm wondering around the KC area looking at bikes. Cost wise, they're pretty darn close, so that's not really an issue.

Any comments appreciated,

Coop

Old 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Slade
Cruiser
Default RE: Help on model choice

First of all, welcome and congrats on getting a Harley, you won't regret it.
Next, when in doubt, do nothing. Don't decide on a model until you are 110% sure. Unless you are indipendantly wealthy and can get two or three!
I'd narrow it down to two then take them for a spin and go from there. You may have to rent one for a day but it's worth it when you are going to be laying down 20k.
Safety class for sure.
My .02

Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Iceman
Tourer

[sm=exactly.gif] on the safety class, and renting a bike. i was actually looking at the fat boy, then the heritage before i decided on the road king. my friend had a road king he let me ride, and that was all it took. in my opinion, the road king rides smoother than the softails do, and it just seemed like you get more bike for the money. but i have already made my choice, so of course im going to say i like the road king better. get out there and ride em both, the bike will make the decision for you!!

Old 02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Edgar
Tourer

Like Iceman said, go to the dealer rent em' both and then make your decision. I do think the RK has better suspension and it has the unbalanced engine which I greatly prefer, if that helps..

Old 02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy, what Slade and Iceman said is true, so I won't be able to add anything to it. I'm also trying to get a Harley and all that I can tell you is do your research before you buy. When you're putting that much money on something, you want to get a good return. Hope that you enjoy your rides to Montana. When I went there in the early 80's I had a lot of fun. I have relatives in Hamilton and Lindsay. Hope that you finally get what you want.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I too am looking for a HD and am trying to decide on a model.

One of the most helpful guys I have taked to is a parts counter guy at a HD agency.

He took the time to "show and tell" about accessories that are available for the bikes.

Determine what type of riding you will do and see how HD can adapt your choice in a bike to best suit your needs.

The RK has many options for touring and for general riding. The ride is different between a RK and Softtail.

If you are going to have your SO on the back, the air adjustable shocks are great.

I am still in the search mode myself and am currently negotiating a deal on a RK with a dealer 85 miles away.

Keep us posted on how your search is going..... I still need help on what to add to a RK to fit my wants and needs.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

There have been several posts on this topic, read through them as well. Your question is not an uncommon one. Read, rent a few rides, and then you will KNOW which one you want.

Mac