General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

'92 Softail is Sloooow

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 10:44 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

Years ago I took my '91 Springer up to an indicated 119, probably doing more like 110 mph but it felt completely stable. The next day I had a base gasket leak on the rear cylinder to deal with. As for motor upgrades, I kept the stock CV carb and installed a kit from Gary Bang, probably defunct now. At the advice of Doug Coffey who owned and ran Head Quarters back then (1994 or 1995). I stuck with the factory headers and just added some cheap Cycle Shack side dumps. I got a Head Quarters valve job and he shaved the heads (it was either .040 or .070" which was supposed to add 1 compression point) and I had to send him my intake manifold so he could shave it appropriately to fit. I spent a lot of time changing jets and checking plugs and then indexed the plugs I got it dyno'd at a rally and pulled 69 horsepower. The dyno guy wanted to know what cam I had installed and couldn't believe it was a stock cam based on the other EVOs he had done. Simple details can really help. Was it a speed monster? Not at all, but it was certainly fun to ride. I rode a few days last week with my grandson who now owns it. He's having as much fun as I did. It accelerates and runs just fine alongside a twin cam and an M8, didn't slow us down at all.
Good luck with your bike OP. If it were mine I would get the heads shaved and get a good quality valve job as mentioned above.

Old 07-11-2024, 12:51 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 616 Posts

ok, now we get somewhere.
you say you installed a Dyna 2000
wgich set up was it, a replacement module that uses the stock pick up, or the self contained nose cone set up.
it's starting to sound like you need to get your timing and advance slopes dialed in.
m

Old 07-15-2024, 10:20 AM
RohsHeck
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok a few answers to questions above:

1. On jetting I believe I have the A/F screw out 1-1/4 turns but will verify when I get home. Either way, it's awful close to what the Super E tuning manual says it should be, and that manual is super easy to follow.
2. On the pickup I replaced the module (that black computer with switches under the seat) and am still using the stock cam position sensor that's located in the nose cone, which was actually replaced last year since the original one was fried. Again, I followed the manual for the module and set it to Curve 1 since it didn't like Curve 2 and it definitely won't like any curves higher than that, which are for more modified engines.
3. The rear pulley has 70 teeth. I actually pulled the rear wheel off this weekend to replace the tire (which is going to bring on another question that I'll start a new thread for). That new question revolves around the fact that a new tire of the same size now rubs the belt, which is frustrating, but maybe the wheel wasn't actually aligned previously... Even with the same tire size marking as the one I just replaced (i.e. 140/90B16) the new tire is about 3/16" wider than the previous one was. FYI the new tire is 140mm wide, rather than the 130mm that would have been standard for my bike's year and model, so it seems like I screwed myself over by simply replacing the wider-than-it-should-have-been tire that was already on the bike when I bought it from the last guy.

Old 07-15-2024, 09:42 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 616 Posts

Ok, it sounds to me like you have set up advance curves, but not dialed in the best base and full advance settings. Unless you have a very good understanding of how to make timing adjustments, it might better left to a reputable tuner at a dyno shop. The seat of the pants method is to set it and get it running, the advance the timing until torque falls off or you hear detonation. Get that part then work the advance curves. In my opinion this is better set up on the dyno, then confirmed on the road test. The dyno will also give you a before and after, so you can see what kind of gains the adjustments got you.
m

Old 07-16-2024, 06:41 AM
bherder
Intermediate
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
well mr. 88, the reference was todays vehicle are wayyyyyyy lighter and became more fuel worthy, aka, not a barge. but yes there are cars that will make that benchmark, let you fingers do some walking. the average town putter in in the 2k range.

SHOOT a bell 206 can come in at 1600#.
lol. Today’s vehicles are way lighter? Put down that crack pipe.

The absolute lightest Chevy made? Malibu at 3200. Honda? Civic at 3200. Toyota? 3000. All non hybrid. For the record, that’s all very close to the curb weight of a 1966 GTO hardtop. And those are the LIGHTEST vehicles of those manufacturers. The average car is heavier than typical cars in years past.

Old 07-16-2024, 08:49 AM
bherder
Intermediate
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
well mr. 88, the reference was todays vehicle are wayyyyyyy lighter and became more fuel worthy, aka, not a barge. but yes there are cars that will make that benchmark, let you fingers do some walking. the average town putter in in the 2k range.

SHOOT a bell 206 can come in at 1600#.
lol. Today’s vehicles are way lighter? Put down that crack pipe.

The absolute lightest Chevy made? Malibu at 3200. Honda? Civic at 3200. Toyota? 3000. All non hybrid. For the record, that’s all very close to the curb weight of a 1966 GTO hardtop. And those are the LIGHTEST vehicles of those manufacturers. The average car is heavier than typical cars in years past.