General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Chicks HD

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005 | 02:01 AM
FLHTCU Rob
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicks HD

Borrowed from another message board:

Chick Hancock, owner of Chick’s Harley Davidson in Albuquerque, New Mexico has long been a supporter of Run For the Wall and of our Veterans. Chick has generously provided lunch for the Central Route RFTW riders when we have stopped in Albuquerque. But this past Christmas 2004, Chick showed an even greater generosity to U.S. Army Pfc. Robert Ruiz.

December 28, 2003, Pfc.Ruiz tripped a booby trap set by insurgents in Iraq, having spikes tear thru his boot and turn his right foot into mincemeat. Ruiz earned the Purple Heart last year for his injuries. Ruiz is currently on leave and is undergoing rehabilitation for his foot injury and nerve damage to his back.

Despite all this, Ruiz had a dream. He told his father before leaving for Iraq in 2003 that he wanted to get a bike so that he could ride with his father. On Christmas Eve 2004, Robert’s father took him to Chick’s on the premise of taking pictures of motorcycles. Robert’s father asked him to wear his dress uniform.

To Robert’s surprise, he was greeted with applause and an Infantry Blue Harley-Davidson Sportster that had been customized just for him. Chick Hancock said that Ruiz's selfless patriotism deserved to be rewarded.

This huge generosity was hatched by a simple inquiry to Chick from Robert’s wife, Andrea. She knew Robert really wanted a motorcycle, and she inquired of Chick about financing options. She wasn’t asking for any special treatment, but after learning of Ruiz’s plight, Chick and the rest of the employees decided to get Ruiz a Harley. Chick Hancock recognized Private Ruiz’s selfless contribution, a guy who is 28-years-old with a wife and three kids who just wanted to do right by our country.

The doctors had wanted to amputate Robert’s foot, but he told them he was going to need that foot! He recognizes he has some work to do before he is able to ride, but he will soon be proudly astride an Infantry Blue Harley-Davidson Sportster…compliments of Chick Hancock and his wonderful staff.
reprinted from RFTW newsletter

Old 02-06-2005 | 02:38 AM
Pirate
Road Master
Default RE: Chicks HD

Hey Rob, thats a great story! Thanks for puttin it up.

Old 02-06-2005 | 03:12 AM
augason
Advanced

Yea, thats right on. Not enough is done for the guys and gals who put it on the line for us.

Old 02-06-2005 | 11:02 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Chick's has a nice shop, a real nice staff, and the last time I was there, about 2 months ago, they were selling for MSRP.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-06-2005 | 11:49 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to read these stories. Things are much different now for our warriors than they were about 30-40 years ago for another generation coming home from Vietnam.

Mac

Old 02-06-2005 | 01:34 PM
rdking
Tourer

Wow! What a fabulous story!!? God Bless Robert Ruiz and his family...and Chick too.[8D]

Old 02-06-2005 | 02:24 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't begin to say the right words for the selfless generousity of those actions except,
God Bless them...

Old 02-06-2005 | 03:18 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I ever decide to buy a new HD, Chick will get a call. And if I need HD parts he will also get a call. I can't express how good that story made me feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:08 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story,

Thanks for sharing.

Let us know when he is well enough to ride, that would be the perfect ending.

David

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:16 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,

Thanks for a good read.

HD

Quick Reply: Chicks HD