General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Exhaust Stud Came Out, How Screwed Am I?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022 | 08:42 PM
mayjamest
|
Advanced
Default Exhaust Stud Came Out, How Screwed Am I?

I was replacing the exhaust gaskets because there was a leak. The nut got all the way to the end of the stud and got stuck…I had to take the stud out with the nut attached. It looks like I might have stripped the threads on the engine where the stud goes. I can’t tell if the stud entrance is supposed to be threaded all the way to the edge or if there is a small gap before the threading starts? I’ll be getting one new stud at HD tomorrow but am hesitant to put the new one in if the threads are stripped. Does this look stripped out? If so do I have to re-tap it? This blows.

Old 06-03-2022 | 08:56 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

I would not re-tap it, just run a thread chaser to clean it out and blow out the hole with some air pressure.

Make sure you know which end of the stud goes in the head, there are 2 different threads on the stud.

The following 6 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
guido4198 (06-04-2022), Gunny357 (06-11-2022), maugusta1 (06-03-2022), smitty901 (06-03-2022), Stiggy (06-04-2022), touchdown (06-04-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-04-2022 | 12:25 AM
HeritageBrads
Road Master

Plenty meat left on that. Just clean up that thread and fit a new stud. It'll be fine, especially when it's tightened up .

On that note, use your best estimate, not a torque wrench. Once a thread is damaged I never re-torque it.

Old 06-04-2022 | 01:31 AM
Glennstur
Advanced

I was just watching some content on replacing exhaust studs and how much of a pain they are. Was it the force of getting the nut off of the end that caused the stud itself to start un-threading? Or did you just decide to remove the stud once you realized the nut was stuck?

Old 06-04-2022 | 03:00 AM
mayjamest
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glennstur
I was just watching some content on replacing exhaust studs and how much of a pain they are. Was it the force of getting the nut off of the end that caused the stud itself to start un-threading? Or did you just decide to remove the stud once you realized the nut was stuck?
I wasn't having any issues but then, at the very end of the stud, the nut decided to get stuck. The only way to get it off was to back out the stud as well. Once the stud was out I locked it in a vice and took an impact gun to the nut...it still didn't come off. I am not sure how that nut got so stuck on there but not even an impact could get it off.

Old 06-04-2022 | 05:55 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Riders Club Member

As mentioned above, but be aware of what they are talking about!!!
Thread chasers!!!!
They are NOT designed to start new threads!!!!!
They are designed to clean them up.
Know the difference between the two!
They look sort of similar and some people think you can interchange them.
https://mechanicalmalarkey.com/2018/08/16/taps-dies-vs-thread-chasers-whats-the-difference/

And what happened to you was that as you were unscrewing the nut, all the rust and crap on the stud was getting jammed up underneath it, it got to a point where it galled up, if you cleaned the stud with brake fluid and a wire brush prior to unscrewing the nut you would not have had that much build up of crud.

Last edited by MURPHCC1; 06-04-2022 at 05:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MURPHCC1:
Gunny357 (06-11-2022), IronAss (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022 | 06:39 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Supporter
Default a

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
As mentioned above, but be aware of what they are talking about!!!
Thread chasers!!!!
They are NOT designed to start new threads!!!!!
They are designed to clean them up.
Know the difference between the two!
They look sort of similar and some people think you can interchange them.
https://mechanicalmalarkey.com/2018/08/16/taps-dies-vs-thread-chasers-whats-the-difference/

And what happened to you was that as you were unscrewing the nut, all the rust and crap on the stud was getting jammed up underneath it, it got to a point where it galled up, if you cleaned the stud with brake fluid and a wire brush prior to unscrewing the nut you would not have had that much build up of crud.
Good info

The following users liked this post:
IronAss (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022 | 03:28 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I always use some copper anti seize on exhaust studs. Makes working on them easier.

The following users liked this post:
Stiggy (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022 | 03:32 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
I always use some copper anti seize on exhaust studs. Makes working on them easier.
And I'll shoot some WD-40 on the threads prior to removal.

I do wonder if OP should consider some Loctite GREEN to secure that stud permanently?

Old 06-09-2022 | 04:22 PM
commander47
Tourer

I agree with the above and would recommend the following.

Red Loctite., you want to mount the stud permanently, or at least so it's hard to remove. Do not use anti seize or any other lube on the stud in the head at all. You can use a little anti seize on the stud where the nut holds the exhaust on.

When you install the new stud, use two nuts and lock them up to tighten the stud into the head. I usually just torque them until the small vein in my temple pops out, as opposed to the big artery in my neck. That is for the fork nut.

The purpose of the stud is to permanently mount it into the head so you CAN take off the exhaust nut to replace seals etc. You do not want the stud to come out each time because it causes undo wear and tear on the head itself. If you strip out the head threads, you will have to use a heli coil to repair it, and use an oversize bolt to hold the exhaust on.

Last edited by commander47; 06-09-2022 at 04:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by commander47:
Gunny357 (06-11-2022), rol427 (10-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Stud Came Out, How Screwed Am I?