General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:06 AM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

Well I was reminded that Nevada has a helmet law.

So off to teh bike shop and bought a half helmet that was DOT approved.

Good god! How to you ride with these things shaking your head with such vibration that you cant see?????[:@]

When I hast had a helmet (20 years ago)I don't remember them buffeting in the wind this badly. I went off and got a non-dot lid and while it still buffets, its not nearly as bad as the DOT (read bigger) helmet.

As long as the boys in blue leave me alone, I prolly wont get another but I am wondering about your experiences..

...gene

Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Helmets

did you get one with a visor? first thing I did was take that off... its just a wind catcher.

Do you have a windshield? I have recently started thinking about all the "buffeting" threads regarding windshields and wonder if the helmet has anything to do with it.

I switched to a 3/4 with face sheild.... they are much more aerodynamic. With my half helmet, it would catch a side breeze and my head would get pulled to the left/right nearly pushing me off the bike at times.
even without side breezes, getting it up to anything above 70 turned the helmet into a nice wind catcher, I would get done with a ride and my neck would be sore from fiighting the helmet.
with the 3/4 I don't have any of those problems... plus sand, rocks, bugs, stay out of my face. My ears don't get abused by the wind, and you still get plenty of that wind in the face feeling from air coming up from underneath the faceshield.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
QTHiggins
6th Gear

I have a half helmet and after about of week of riding with the visor on I realized it wasn't so pleasant. Once I took the visor off it wasn't to bad. Then I noticed once I pick up on speed the wind is crazy loud. So I have a zip in piece for cooler temps...I put that in and life is great now.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
dano1200R
Cruiser

a 1 pound kevlar/carbon fiber is available here. i have one and love it. www.carbonfiberhelmets.com

Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

i have the same problem with my half helmet. it shakes so bad that i cant see anything. so i also thought it would be the visor. nope. still shakes. so i dont wear one now.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Bwareofprplhaze
Intermediate

is it the right size i have 2 half helmets and a 3/4 and a modular full and i dont have any of those problems with any of them the half helmets do have a little sample visor on them as well i do know that the sizing and possible movement on your heads can make them seem like there blowing all around

Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM
ugsweetazkandiie
Novice

I have found that the only helmets i can wear are full face.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Kanebanger
Road Captain

I know it isn't safe but the most comfortable helmet that I found for when I'm in helmet states is a $20 novelty helmet that I got at a chopper shop. So far I haven't had any trouble with the boys in blue, but I figure it's just a matter of time.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
lilredchic
Tourer

Ihave a half helmet from skidlid that I got from J&P Cycles. I have worn it 1 time. I got the bike up 70 slowed back down pulled over and tied it to the sissy bar never to be worn again. It fits great but the wind about blows my head off with it on. I think its to tall?? I want to wear a helmet but don't want the full voodoo head shrink because its to darn hot and muggy around here. It has pretty rose on the sides and my son hates wearing when he goes with me.[8D]

Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM
The Flail
Intermediate

Our Half Helmets really that bad?. I have a 3/4 and am thinking about getting a 1/2 but after reading some of your comments I am not sure anymore?

Quick Reply: Helmets