General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 AM
mkink
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Wrench

I wanted to start off by saying that I am mechanically retarded. I purchased the service manual, craftsman tool kit, screwdrivers, etc. because I want to learn how to wrench on my bike. While I was at Sears I bought I a craftsman torque wrench b/c the service manual calls for proper torque on a lot of things. Its the clicker type. Now to my question, how the hell do I know when the proper torque pressure has been met? I noticed that the handle seem to give a little, is that it? After you are all done laughing, could you folks some answers and provide some help. As always, thanks for info.

Matthew

Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 AM
blkrk
Intermediate
Default RE: Torque Wrench

You are absolutely right ! Once the specified torque value is met , you'll feel and hear "the click" , and the handle will give you the impression that it "gives" a little.
I don't know what model you've picked up but I hope is the one that has the dial in both Nm and ft/lbs.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MKINK

Just a little tip :-

When you have finished using the torque wrench don't forget to back it off all of the way before you put it away. I have had quite a few wrenches borrowed and have come back weeks later 3/4 wound up which will affect the calibration of the wrench as it compresses the spring.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

To get used to using it, practice once to see how it feels. Set it to a very light setting, and put it on a nut/bolt and pull until you feel the "give". It will be very clear once you feel/hear it. The type you got are much easier to use than the old pointer on the dial type, although both styles work fine. Pay attention to whether a fastener is rated in Inch/Pounds or Foot/Pounds, there are wrenches available in both.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5434/F3056A026A934E80B8AE365DF0FEAACE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2005, 03:44 PM
mkink
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. When putting the weight back to zero, do I set it as low as it goes, or just to the last pound indicated? For example, the wrench is in inch/lbs and nms that goes from 25-250(?). Do I set it at 25 or wind it all the way down? Thanks again

Matthew

Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I would think all the way back to zero to take any tension off the spring inside.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NO!!!!!!!
Only wind it back to the lowest digit. I've been a heavy equipment (CAT) mechanic for 16 years. I still have and regularly use my Snap On torque wrenches that I bought 16 years ago. I'm sure the Craftman wrench will give you years of troublefree service. To convert from inch pounds to foot pounds, divide by 12. Your wrench has a max of 250 inch pounds--that is just over 20 foot pounds.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

I wound mine all the way down and it seemed to jam up. I now just go to the last digit like Taildraggerdave suggested.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:31 PM
mkink
Advanced

Thanks. I want to make sure I take of this wrench properly. The last thing I want to do is buy another $70 wrench. My family already thinks I am crazy for buying it in the first place. []

Matthew

Old 11-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My family already thinks I am crazy for buying it in the first place.
Then they would probably put me away in one of those white jackets with the nifty ties on the sleeves....
There is nothing better than using the right tool for the job.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench