General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2015 ultra hard start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2015 ultra hard start

Had a warm day and went to start the bike but it wouldn't start. Cranking was no problem battery tested at 12.62 vdc.
​​​checked the spark plugs for spark and got shocked in the process, both are sparking. Took the air filter off and cleaned it with the k and n stuff. When cold she only wants to start with the throttle cracked a little. Any suggestions on where to look?

Old 02-18-2020, 04:47 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Make sure your battery connections are tight and clean , look for corrosion and breaks in the cables , especially inside the plastic cover . Also check the wiring that runs down to the starter as well , again , make sure it's clean and free from corrosion .

If that all checks out and like you say , you have good battery power , I would start looking at your fuel system . Are you getting fuel ? Is the fuel pump priming when you turn on the switch ? Filter plugged inside the tank , leak in the fuel lines inside the tank ....

While your at it , have a look at the inside of your throttle body , give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush , any carbon build up will cause it to idle poorly .

Give this a read , also have you checked for error codes ?

https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...e-start-414174

Last edited by MyFavRk; 02-18-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MyFavRk

If that all checks out and like you say , you have good battery power , yes I get power, the bike starts. It starts immediately when warm but when cold I have to open the throttle slightly would start looking at your fuel system . Are you getting fuel ? yes, when I started it without the filter on I got sprayed with gas coming out the throttle body Is the fuel pump priming when you turn on the switch ? yes you can hear it, plus the bike starts and runs inside the tank , leak in the fuel lines inside the tank ....

While your at it , have a look at the inside of your throttle body , give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush , any carbon build up will cause it to idle poorly .

Give this a read , also have you checked for error codes ? ill check it again after I rode the bike around the block a couple times.

​​​​​

https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/harley-davidson-touring-why-wont-my-bike-start-414174 this is pretty cool knowledge

​​​​
All valid ideas on helping me I appreciate the response

Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

so , your bike starts fine when engine is at running temp , no issues when riding through all the gears at all speeds ?

Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

so , your bike starts fine when engine is at running temp , no issues when riding through all the gears at all speeds ?
Correct. When the bike is warm it starts right up. Rode around the neighborhood got up to 50mph and when I got back on the bike after stopping at the supermarket it started right up. When I got home I checked for codes but all genre's had a big fat N next to them.

It's only when it's a cold start does the engine keep cranking. It takes holding the throttle like 20% open it starts.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:15 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok , if your not having any issues when warmed up and it's idling , running smoothly throughout all gears ( running as it should ) , I would rule out the fuel pump as the issue .

Tell me more about the bike , is it stock , have you done stage 1 , any recent work done ?

Check your plugs , clean and re gap ... or replace ... Not sure if your a believer , but you could also run some sea foam though your fuel system , about an oz / gal .

Try resetting your TGS
Handle bar switch in run position , turn on your ignition , do not start the bike , and wait 10 seconds , then turn off for 10 seconds , repeat this procedure 4 times in a row .

If that doesn't help , try resetting your ecm -
https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...our-ecm-413937

Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 AM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

Ok , if your not having any issues when warmed up and it's idling , running smoothly throughout all gears ( running as it should ) , I would rule out the fuel pump as the issue .

Tell me more about the bike , is it stock , have you done stage 1 , any recent work done ?

Check your plugs , clean and re gap did this before I got shocked. they were wet but I think it was due to me trying to start it so many times ... or replace ... Not sure if your a believer , but you could also run some sea foam though your fuel system , about an oz / gal .

Try resetting your TGS
Handle bar switch in run position , turn on your ignition , do not start the bike , and wait 10 seconds , then turn off for 10 seconds , repeat this procedure 4 times in a row . I'll definitely do this, but I did verify operation when I had the filter off and figuring out it starts while open around 20%

If that doesn't help , try resetting your ecm - i do have it turned with the screaming eagle tuner that's legal for my set up. I'm going to
https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...our-ecm-413937

Sure. 2015 Harley Davidson ultra classic. Harley burst air cleaner. 58 mm intake. Screamin beagle 259 cams. Screamin beagle high flow headers. Screamin beagle nightstick full exhaust you know the ones where they moved the catalytic converter to the slip on. 110 cu in.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Wally@discountesp
Former Sponsor
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jchaiyo
Sure. 2015 Harley Davidson ultra classic. Harley burst air cleaner. 58 mm intake. Screamin beagle 259 cams. Screamin beagle high flow headers. Screamin beagle nightstick full exhaust you know the ones where they moved the catalytic converter to the slip on. 110 cu in.
What kind of tuner do you have and was it dyno tuned or a base map? It sounds like you need to bump up the fuel at cold start, which could make sense with the bigger throttle body and cams.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:01 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Could very well be a tuning issue , did the bike start fine at any time when it was cold before , without any issues , or is this the first time it's been cold , since the modifications were done ? Could be onto something here .

Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

I have the street tuner. Base map for what's inside downloaded almost 3 or 4 years ago

Quick Reply: 2015 ultra hard start