General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Handy Table Lift Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Default Handy Table Lift Upgrade

I have a Handy electric/hydraulic table lift that I absolutely love; it makes everything much easier. Once, when I was adjusting a clutch and had mistakenly left the bike in 1st gear (as opposed to 6th) the rear wheel rotated (while wrenching the adjuster nut) and pushed the drop panel off the back of the lift. The rear wheel went down into the cut out for removing a wheel, the frame rails were resting on the table and the bike was listing to one side. I work alone so I spent the next twenty minutes raising the bike to get the cut out section back in place.

I mentioned this to my best friend who's a machinist and he made me a couple brackets, drilled and tapped the lift and bolted them to frame. He took a piece of flat steel and ran it thru the two brackets and also threaded the bar in case I wanted to use stop screws to keep the bar from being pulled out. It turned out very well, as does all his work, now I don't have to worry about that section being spit off the back if there's any rear wheel movement. I should mention that when the lift is in the down position, the ramp keeps that section from being pushed out. Once the lift is higher than the ramp any forward movement of the rear will push it right out the back.

I'm very happy how it turned out.

This photo is of the removable section that just sits on this ledge.

This is the solution, two brackets and piece of flat steel that can be pulled out to remove the section. The screws are only in the bar, they do not thread into the table frame.

Close up of one of the brackets.

Pic of the improvement with the lift all the way down. The flat steel fits in the pre-existing gap between the lift table and the ramp.

Top view of the same.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 12-24-2019 at 08:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
Angryman (03-29-2020), hattitude (03-27-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,345 Likes on 6,767 Posts

Looks great.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (12-24-2019)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I have a Handy electric/hydraulic table lift that I absolutely love; it makes everything much easier. Once, when I was adjusting a clutch and had mistakenly left the bike in 1st gear (as opposed to 6th) the rear wheel rotated (while wrenching the adjuster nut) and pushed the drop panel off the back of the lift. The rear wheel went down into the cut out for removing a wheel, the frame rails were resting on the table and the bike was listing to one side. I work alone so I spent the next twenty minutes raising the bike to get the cut out section back in place.

I mentioned this to my best friend who's a machinist and he made me a couple brackets, drilled and tapped the lift and bolted them to frame. He took a piece of flat steel and ran it thru the two brackets and also threaded the bar in case I wanted to use stop screws to keep the bar from being pulled out. It turned out very well, as does all his work, now I don't have to worry about that section being spit off the back if there's any rear wheel movement. I should mention that when the lift is in the down position, the ramp keeps that section from being pushed out. Once the lift is higher than the ramp any forward movement of the rear will push it right out the back.

I'm very happy how it turned out.

This photo is of the removable section that just sits on this ledge.

This is the solution, two brackets and piece of flat steel that can be pulled out to remove the section. The screws are only in the bar, they do not thread into the table frame.

Close up of one of the brackets.

Pic of the improvement with the lift all the way down. The flat steel fits in the pre-existing gap between the lift table and the ramp.

Top view of the same.
\
So the screw on each end of the bar are just to keep the bar from moving left or right? Basically pushing in on the end of the lift to hold it in place?