General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

New in-tank fuel line/hose without buying the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 04:38 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New in-tank fuel line/hose without buying the pump?

For a 2009 Low Rider, Harley says they don't sell the fuel line/hose that connects to the fuel pump without the fuel pump so they want about $240 for a $7 hose! Anybody find a replacement for this hose after developing a hole from rubbing in the tank without having to buy the pump too? I also read something about them redesigning the hose since my bike was manufactured, I guess they made it shorter? Anyone know anything about this? The way the diagram shows this hose on Ronnie's Harley microfiche web site, it looks like there are build-in bends to the line so I wonder if you MUST have the Harley hose or has someone figured out a cure to these hoses getting damaged from normal riding? I didn't want to open the tank until I have this hose, I don't even know if it's bad yet but figured if I'm taking the guts out to replace the fuel filter, I might as well replace all the stuff that I can afford. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:26 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Just use Gates submersible fuel line of the same size.

Google: "Harley in tank fuel line replacement" there's a lot of info there.

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 06:30 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Thanks SDMF. Any particular clamps needed with the Gates submersible line? Do you by some miracle have any part numbers?

Old 08-31-2019, 11:08 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
Thanks SDMF. Any particular clamps needed with the Gates submersible line? Do you by some miracle have any part numbers?
Gates Submersible fuel line. Size 5/16 Part # 27093 (Please do your own check/verification with Gates)
And Stainless fuel line hose clamps of the appropriate size. (not worm screw, the worm gear clamps have sharp edges and can cut the line)

Last edited by S.D.M.F; 08-31-2019 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Thanks again

Old 09-01-2019, 02:30 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I got the Gates hose and some clamps at Advance Auto Parts. Told them I needed stainless steel clamps and they gave me a package of Ideal Tridon 52F1658 fuel injection clamps but they don't SAY they are stainless. They LOOK like stainless but they are made in china so I am leery. I tried looking on their website but my web browser Firefox warned me I might get hacked or some other equally evil electronic criminal sh*t if I continued to the web site so I didn't. I then tried calling their 800 phone number on the package figuring I wouldn't get a live person on a Sunday and I didn't get a live person on a Sunday. So I am hoping you can tell me you have bought the same Ideal Tridon 52F1658 fuel injection clamps and used them with no problem in your gas tank. Otherwise, I will wait and call them Tuesday to make sure this chinese sh*t is safe to submerge in fuel. I don't want to do this job again in a few months. It sucks that I had to do it only a year and a half ago but I guess I am learning that if I put 20,000 miles or more a year on my bike, I'll be doing some maintenance I don't like to do or paying someone else to do it. It sucks getting old but the alternative is worse.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Mine had 50k on it, so I just replaced it all. Pump will leave you stranded.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:55 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I just got on the clamp maker's website from my phone instead of my computer (I guess my web browser on the phone isn't worried about electronic crimes). It says the clamps I bought are "plated carbon steel." Is that going to cause problems being submerged in fuel and if I get any of that sh*t ethanol mix?

Old 09-05-2019, 03:04 PM
ScottyMoore
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
I just got on the clamp maker's website from my phone instead of my computer (I guess my web browser on the phone isn't worried about electronic crimes). It says the clamps I bought are "plated carbon steel." Is that going to cause problems being submerged in fuel and if I get any of that sh*t ethanol mix?
Is the inside of your fuel tank stainless steel?
Is all the brackets holding the fuel pump stainless steel?

No.

Than why does the hose clamp need to be?

FWIW, if you want stainless clamps go to a marine supplier like West Marine.

Quick Reply: New in-tank fuel line/hose without buying the pump?