General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

all I want is a simple spare key

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM
uktzero
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all I want is a simple spare key

I have a 1990 FLHS that's mostly stock ... When I got the bike, I only got 1 ignition key with it, and naturally I want to get a spare

I have gone to 2 hardware stores, and they don't have them, so I decided to just bite it and go to the dealer ... They told me that since they no longer make that ignition cylinder unit, that they no longer make those keys!

I asked them what their procedure is if they have a bike that they own (a trade in) and they lose the keys ... They told me that they would upgrade the lock cylinder - I asked them which lock cylinder they would use, and he told me that he didn't think any other ones would fit ...

My key says "Taylor X141" on it ... ilco also makes one called the X141 but none of the key sellers even carry them anymore ... I've even looked at the aftermarket novelty keys, and they don't have them in this style

What the heck is going on here??? ... This isn't some super old obsolete model vehicle that nobody still drives/rides, why on earth would they stop making something as simple as a key?? ... It isn't a strange or unnatural looking key, it’s a regular old key - there's nothing remarkable about it at all, except for the fact that nobody has them

Does anyone know where I might get a key blank for my bike? - Any help would be great, thanks in advance

Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: all I want is a simple spare key

This is all i could find. Maybe give them a call and see what they say. HTH http://www.mysecuritypro.com/index.a...=GO&Page=1

Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a locksmith?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:08 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a '77 and had no problems getting keys copied for it by a local locksmith.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 AM
uktzero
Advanced

I haven't tried a locksmith yet ... and if I do, they will still have to locate a key blank no matter what ... it doesn't matter who makes the key, they have to start out with a very precise and exact key blank

the trouble I'm running into is that most of the locksmith and locksmith supply dealers don't even have access to that key blank anymore ... and it HAS to be that exact key blank

you would think that a key is a key, or at least that you could find one close enough to make it work - but there are so many variables and things that have to be perfectly measured and aligned that is HAS to be the correct one ... and that's before it's even cut

anyways, I've found 2 locksmith supply dealers that have the generic blanks in this style, but I can only buy them in quantities of 50 @1.90 each, or $5 each in a box of 10 .. nice eh?

so, I'm not totally screwed, just baffled at why on earth they would discontinue something like a key??? this is one of the most basic, inexpensive and most often replaced parts on the entire bike, or any vehicle for that matter - who doesn't need extra keys? ... that's the one thing you can guarantee will be purchased sometime during the lifetime of the vehicle ... is this a regular thing with Harley's?

I'm a Jeep person, - I'm really familiar with Jeep parts and I can go get an obscure part from a '60's Jeep with no problem ... 3 day order at the very most ... I'm just used to a lot more customer support in the parts department is all ... but is this what I can expect when I have to deal with Harley? are other parts going to give me a similar migraine if I need them?

my bike's not really that old - 1990 ... it's not even old enough to smoke or buy **** yet! ... and it's an FLHS Electra Glide, not some limited production prototype model -- grr.

I'm thinking about all of the people that own these bikes, and the other models that use this same style key, for the several years with these keys were used (the X141 style) and how they are left with their cheese in the wind when it comes to getting a spare key -- if they lose their only key, it's screwdriver and carnage time (and then you can't even buy the parts to replace the lock cylinder unless it's used!) ... as far as the dealers and the manufacturer is concerned, the owners of these bikes will now have to make their existing keys last for the entire lifetime of the bike, or else! ... and that doesn't sit too well with me, that is NOT what I call customer service

I talked with service some more, and they said that they cannot 'upgrade' the ignition without significant modifications to the bike that would really alter the appearance and basically 'chop' it ... so now I'm clinging onto this key like it's made of platinum until I get some blanks in

you guys are going to laugh when I post a photo of this key and you see how unimportant and normal it looks ... the way Harley and all of the key makers in the Twin Cities make it sound, it's like the key to the space shuttle or something

I am probably going to just bend over and order a box of 50 key blanks, and I would like to extend an offer to anyone that visits this forum ... if you have an X141 style key and need one (or are having the same problem as I am with this key), I'll be happy to mail one to the people who need them for free - the cost is negligible when buying them by the box, I don't mind at all ... but then you would have to take the key blank into a hardware store, or anywhere that makes keys and have them cut it ... which they will probably charge you the normal key cutting cost even though you are supplying the key blank

there's no way I am going to use that many keys, and it's too much of a PITA to put them on ebay (although there's none on there and they might sell very well) - so I'll post back when I order and receive my shameful box of brass extortion and I'll post photos of what thi

Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
RCinMN
1st Gear

I have 4 of them, if you ride up here with your key I'll cut you 1 for a buck. Not too far from ya, I'm in the
Deephaven area, Minnetonka Blvd & Co. Rd 101 S. Just let me know when you want to come to make sure I'll be here. Hope this helps, RC

Old 08-17-2007, 05:19 PM
ugsweetazkandiie
Novice

Okay 1st they have to look up the key number in the 90' flhs book. I looked it up for you, and it is 61077-82 next you need to give them the vin # and they will have to find the rest of the key code on hd-net.com and they can special order you a key. For instance an example of the part number would be: 61077-82/0001 . The last4 digits will be your own key code. 2 comes in a pack and it should be roughly $30 give or take.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 AM
pauletich
Road Master

Go to a locksmith, but I would also call HD customer service and let them know about the problem.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You shouldn't have any problem finding a key shop in the Minneapolis area that has the blank for your bike. And it'll be a lot cheaper than one from a dealer.