General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Oily air filter problem solved. Air filter vacuum chamber with drain solenoid.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:30 PM
wbill1666
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil must is just that water can't survive those temperatures

Originally Posted by Wisenheimer16
Correct me if I am mistaken but it's mostly water vapor coming out of the Breather bolts making a milkshake looking mixture with the little bit of oil expelled. So now you're letting this milkshake mixture drain back into the crankcase? Oh dear.
Oil must is just that water can't survive those temperatures

Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 PM
wbill1666
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Just a guess ...are you plumber/ pipe fitter? I really like seeing the stuff people come up with. In this case it just seems like a very complicated setup for a very simple problem. I realize it's just a prototype but it's not pretty...i know I wouldn't add it to my bike. Not sure I like the idea of that goop getting put in the motor...the reason why alot of people to vent to the atmosphere to begin with. If you can clean up the design and either chrome or powder coat all the visible stuff maybe you'll find a market...just tell people it increases horse power and torque by 10 percent lol...but seriously good luck with it.
Proud member of plumbers and steamfitters local9 . I'm retired with some health issues decided to climb on a bike again,good for the head . Anyway I noticed the oil filter thing and noticed it was a common problem and came up with this, just a prototype, work8on a more concealed setup. It works fine so far . If you want complicated check out T man external breather kit and his oil tank vent setup. It takes both kits to do what mine does without positive crankcase ventilation

Old 06-30-2019, 09:54 PM
wbill1666
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bustert
i really like the thinking out the box. better mouse traps are built every day by such.
not my cup of tea on this approach
mr. hey man used a good ole B&S engine design
this is what it have done

i flog the machine regularly and never an issue with oil in the cleaner.
I've seen that done quite a bit on this site,my only true issue with that is pistons and valves getting carbon.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 PM
wbill1666
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tired
While I can appreciate the thought and development of your fix, it does seems a bit involved and overboard.

Kinda like you saw a cockroach and burned down the house to kill it.
Really not hard to make ,just a working prototype I'm sure I can conceal better with a little more thought

Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 PM
wbill1666
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Definitely an interesting setup. From what I've seen, you will likely still get some mist into the intake as you collection reservoir is a little small. You'll see it when running at higher speeds for extended periods of time.
Reservoir drains every time engine shuts down, got it on my 124 a deep breathing beast

Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,017 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by wbill1666
Reservoir drains every time engine shuts down, got it on my 124 a deep breathing beast

I understand that. The issue is that the volume of the reservoir is not large enough for the mist to separate and some does make it through while the engine is running.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow

Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by wbill1666
Oil must is just that water can't survive those temperatures
As a fellow UA brother, I respectfully retract my prior comment.
However, you know that water vapor can exist at almost any temp.
My objection to your system is the reintroduction of this vapor into the motor. It would seem that there is no way let this vapor escape while the motor is running.
Granted, with your system, the vapor can escape while the motor is static. I am not sold on whether or not there will be enough latent heat in the motor to remove an adequate amount of condensation. My concern is that the condensation will continue to accumulate and you will end up with a milkshake in your oil tank.

Your claim of a mileage increase has me intrigued. If this can be repeated in a different motor, you may be on to something.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:49 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Wow, a device that separates the condensation from the oil while also adding thermal energy to your fuel source to increase the efficiency of your engine?

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:58 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

I like it, but im a drop it on the ground at this time kind of guy. I'm trying to come up with a easy drain tank.

Quick Reply: Oily air filter problem solved. Air filter vacuum chamber with drain solenoid.