General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Wind Splitter Windshield......What I Did Not Know.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:41 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,531 Likes on 10,751 Posts
Default Wind Splitter Windshield......What I Did Not Know.

First of all, I was told once I purchase a windshield it is mine. If something is wrong with it, too bad. If the color (smoke) is too light or dark or if it is not high enough or whatever, then tough. You bought it.

I would like to test it out first. But the HD I went to did not have a demo for my ’17 bagger.

I gambled and got a Wind Splitter. I was told it will push the air up and over my helmet.

I bought it, and it was absolutely no different than my prior windshield. In my experience, in my reality, the “up and over” did not happen.

I suspected because of the slight deviation in the windshield itself where it curves up just a little bit to get the nonexistent “up and over” aspect of the wind to go over your helmet, right with that curve is I thought there may be a slight visual blurring as you look through the curved part of the windshield.

Then I quickly thought, if it was a bad thing, they would not carry it and there would be many complaints. I am sure this is 100% personal but I definitely did not, not, not like that blurring.

My points being this.:

1) You can’t try it out. (There is no damage. But you can’t try it out.) Ok, I sort of understand it but no demo windshields for a newer bagger? ß The latter part got me.

2) There is NO “up and over”.

3) There is unpleasant blurring.

I posted this for 2 reasons. 1) To see what others think about the above matter and 2) to caution anyone else who is thinking about purchasing a Wind Splitter windshield.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,843 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Long Ride Shields allows you to test their windshields and, as long as you keep the plastic wrapping intact, you can return it if dissatisfied.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds to me that you purchased the wrong size. If you see blurring, you are looking through it, not over it. I had one too tall and the blurring is dangerous. Rule of thumb, as I read, is that the windshield should be as high as your upper lip\nose. How I check to see if wind is actually moving over me is to go down the road at 60 or so and with the left hand, start at face level and slowly extent your hand straight up. If the wind force against your hand changes, or doesn't would indicate how well wind is being pushed above you. I get the sudden wind blast when my hand is about a full length over the top of my helmet. Seats and windshields - there should be a way to try before you buy as costly as they are. Just my opinion.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:34 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Rumblin
Sounds to me that you purchased the wrong size. If you see blurring, you are looking through it, not over it. I had one too tall and the blurring is dangerous. Rule of thumb, as I read, is that the windshield should be as high as your upper lip\nose. How I check to see if wind is actually moving over me is to go down the road at 60 or so and with the left hand, start at face level and slowly extent your hand straight up. If the wind force against your hand changes, or doesn't would indicate how well wind is being pushed above you. I get the sudden wind blast when my hand is about a full length over the top of my helmet. Seats and windshields - there should be a way to try before you buy as costly as they are. Just my opinion.
Yes my friend. Thank you very much for that.

This morning I am going to attach a cardboard (I know how to) to my present windshield at 12 inches. Do exactly the test you were talking about and now I will know for sure what the proper height should be.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the post.

BuzzCap 7

Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Yes my friend. Thank you very much for that.

This morning I am going to attach a cardboard (I know how to) to my present windshield at 12 inches. Do exactly the test you were talking about and now I will know for sure what the proper height should be.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the post.

BuzzCap 7
Here is a YouTube link for a measurement from KlockWerks recurve windshields. See if this helps, too.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM
BuzzCap7

THANKS!! Where were u a week ago? LOL!!!

GREAT Vid! THAT is what I am working on today. Really appreciate the post.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-09-2018, 10:11 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

Clearview also has a return policy.
I went from a 19'' H-D to a 17'' recurve +3'' wider . Vary happy with this shield plus it puts the wind higher than the factory . And they are very helpful over the phone , I know made my self a pain in there phone

Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 AM
BuzzCap7

Recurve? Is that like the "Windsplitter" of HD's?

I decided to go with Freedom Shields. https://freedomshields.net/They seem to be GREAT!! Thanks tho.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Good choice, my Freedom shield works great for wind management.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:57 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Good choice, my Freedom shield works great for wind management.
BCS ur FS (Freedom Shield) is thicker, did u have any issue getting it to fit inplace of the older thinner one? PLUS my friend, I have a windshield bag that goes in the slotted area to be tightened down as well.

Between the thicker shield and the windshield bag, will there be an issue opening the open section to slide all this stuff down into?

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: Wind Splitter Windshield......What I Did Not Know.