General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Busted Exhaust Stud Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,379 Likes on 5,871 Posts
Default Busted Exhaust Stud Removal

Ok, this has probably been covered a million and one times, but here goes again, as my search-fu sucks, and I'm honestly too pissed off to search more

Riding home today, I got a rattle and an exhaust leak out of the front head. Upper nut completely missing, and the lower stud is broken off just below flush with the head surface. Yeah, FML for sure. A quick look shows that a straight shot at the offending stud is obscured by the frame tube, so probably not able to remove this with the head in-situ.

I ask if this is indeed the case, as if I have to remove the head anyway, and cough up for new gaskets, I may as well put a reman set of heads on the bike instead of just replacing the damn studs. Before you all go off on me about needing new this, that and the other thing, budget is damn tight, but I still want it done right, and not rigged for future failure. I can swing a set of heads, but full blown top end (pistons, barrels, heads, cams, etc, etc, etc is out of the question)

Do any of you geniuses here have a shortcut, or does the head have to come off, no ifs ands or buts about it?

Bike is a 2000 Ultra Classic, engine is a bone stock TC 88 with 96500 miles on it.

\\

Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,442 Posts

is the frame in DIRECT line with the stud?

if not, a LONG (10")drill bit might get enough in there to try an "easy out " or left hand drill bit.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:00 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

I dont seem to have a straight shot at the stud, due to the frame tube, unless I use a really small diameter bit. Breaking a drill bit (or easy out) off in the stud would seem to take it from bad to worse. Hence looking for others opinions.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

There is a drill fixture for this. If you cannot get to it. Take the head off. You are right. Breaking a harden ezout or getting the drill off center will create a mess. However, the hole can go next size bigger. Seek professional help if in over your head.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:10 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
There is a drill fixture for this. If you cannot get to it. Take the head off. You are right. Breaking a harden ezout or getting the drill off center will create a mess. However, the hole can go next size bigger. Seek professional help if in over your head.

Well, I can replace heads, and I can drill out studs, but this one I may not be able to do solo. I have a contact in at my Indy where I bought the bike. Hopefully they can do it without yanking the head. That adds a lot in expense and time for what on the surface is a simple repair. If they have the fixture to do it right, Ill just take it up to them. I just hate spending on labor that I could potentially do myself....

Old 09-03-2018, 02:13 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Guaranteed easy fix If you have a mig welder and a little bit of skill start to Weld on to the end of the stud the heat will break it loose build yourself up a little **** where you can grab it with a pair of vice grips easy fix

Old 09-03-2018, 02:22 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I had to pull the front head to fix mine. The guy at the machine shop even had a hard time with it.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:32 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
I dont seem to have a straight shot at the stud, due to the frame tube, unless I use a really small diameter bit. Breaking a drill bit (or easy out) off in the stud would seem to take it from bad to worse. Hence looking for others opinions.
My stud broke on the INSIDE part...HAD to take off the heads and jug.........also broke an EASY OUT in it...........no machine shop around here would touch it..........HAD to use a long drill bit to get around the fins..........little at a time with a small diamond bit on a dremel I got it out........real PIA!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:32 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, I heard back from my Indy, and the news honestly was as expected, the head has to come off or risk really screwing up the mount hole due to no clearance. Bike will be towed up there in the morning. They quoted 4 to 5 hrs turnaround on it, which given the scope seems reasonable. I could do it myself, but busted studs are a pain in the air, and with the head off, I have no good holding fixture for it. Leave this one to the pros

Last edited by ScottinAZ; 09-03-2018 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
river john (05-29-2019)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Removing a steel stud from an alloy casting is not easy IMHO. Find a local shop who can remove the stud for you and take the head to them and get them to install the correct replacement stud.

Quick Reply: Busted Exhaust Stud Removal