General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Ride Planner & Nav Practical Use

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM
jgerboc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ride Planner & Nav Practical Use

Just curious how many people use the Ride Planner to plan rides and how it is being used. I see people planned Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc. I typically don't know how far I will be going each day. I tried setting up the planner to work like my Garmin:
  1. Pick starting point
  2. Pick ending point
  3. Customize route by dragging route to specific roads
  4. Save/Export
  5. Start each day on the same route where I left off the day before
The navigation in the bike doesn't seem to be very comprehensive when doing it that way. The waypoints and locations tend to complicate the routing. Im not even sure what the difference is between waypoints and locations. Then, it breaks the route into segments. I can't find a good resource for understanding why it is setup this way and how to overcome my inability to understand it. Ideas?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 467 Likes on 228 Posts

If I'm going somewhere specific I'll usually just punch the address in the on bike navigation. If I'm going somewhere and have a preferred route I want to try I'll plan it online and download it to the navigation. Usually if I'm taking a multi day trip I'll book a motel in a reasonable distance each night that gives me time to do things along the way. When I do that, I'll program the address for the motel in the navigation system so along the way I can just pull it up and go there. I've found when I plan a route in ride planner I have to put quite a few waypoints in to force it to go the way I want to go. I always zoom in on ride planner to make sure the waypoint is on the road and not in somebody's driveway or something. Hope that kind of answer your question.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

We have three vehicles with built-in satnavs, all different, which are fine for short day trips, but for longer ones I use my bike TomTom. The built-in ones are just too much trouble to try fancy planning on!