General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

EPA exhaust noise Regulations ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:58 PM
HogGlider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EPA exhaust noise Regulations ?

Just a little update for everybody. I had picked up a local publication called "Scooter News" which is published just outside of Denver, in Golden Colorado.

There is a huge article in there which is very, very well put. The AMA as well as numerous other motorcycle club organizations and councils have been trying to get the city council to work together with the organizations to come to a uniformed and fair compromise on the noise ordinance. As of right now the way the ordinance reads, the DPD can pull you over within the "resonable suspicion" guidelines if your motorcycle "looks too loud, or "even sounds like it may be too loud." The problem here lies within the descretion of each individual officer and their interpretation of what looks, or is too loud. DPD Police chief even went on to say that they don't plan to strictly enforce the ordinance and start randomly pull bikers over for questionable exhaust simply because they do not have the man power for such an issue. The majority of such violations would come from noise complaints made by local businesses and neighborhoods...so they say. The kicker in the whole ordinance is that you will receive a summons if stopped by a DPD officer for your exhaust, and you must the appear in the Federal Environmental Court, and not Traffic Court, where they will then test your exhaust for pass/fail of the ordinance.

The really "juicy" part of this ordinance, is that one of the local charities, "Toys for Tots' (which occurs right in the heart of downtown Denver), will likely have to be cancelled, or relocated, simply because of participation dropping off the charts for many such events here in Colorado. Many people have already started pulling out of the annual Veterans Rally up in Winter Park (just under 2 hours northwest of Denver), because they are afraid they will be targeted for "questionable exhaust." The Veterans Rally usually draws 50,000+ people a year to the event from all over the United States, the event promoters have been inundated with emails, and mail from bikers outside of Colorado who are no longer planning to attend, and also many who were planning trips through the state are looking to totally bypass Colorado all-together now.

The AMA has been willing to work with the Denver city council to come to some sort of compromise, much like what was done in Albuquerque, NM a few years back, and again 3 years ago in Colorado Springs, with a very same ordinance. However, the city council members have pretty much dug in and are not willing to cooperate with the AMA or other parties involved to come to a logical, and reasonable solution to the Denver noise ordinance. The ordinance sponsor and "driving force", Rick Garcia, (pretty sure first name was Rick), even went on to say that he wouldn't be concerned at all if there weren't any motorcycles in Denver (pretty bold statement to make as a public figure).

People like Mr. Garcia are exactly what causes such a decline in society, making ignorant, and hasty decisions like this ordinance are what will hurt Denver where it counts...MONEY.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

What Denver needs is a high profile military funeral, with the Westboro protestors showing up.

It's amazing how people adapt to loud pipes when the protestors chants are drowned out by 100+ decibels.

I've never been a fan of overly loud pipes, btw, but we sure used them this past weekend in Mankato, Mn.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
blfrgrkcustom
Intermediate

The ordinance sponsor and "driving force", Rick Garcia, (pretty sure first name was Rick), even went on to say that he wouldn't be concerned at all if there weren't any motorcycles in Denver (pretty bold statement to make as a public figure).

I just moved to Denver from Michigan and if I had heard this, I would not have moved here. I completly avoid the downtown area and therefore don't spend any money there. I hope city officials realize the discriminatory mistake they have made. Also is there a way to further support/lobby with AMA? I have sent emails to anyone who has helped fight this ordinance and hope it helps in any way.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
TalkLikeAPirate
Advanced

When you go by the troopers let off the throttle a little but not all the way. Just enough so the exhaust sounds normal. Then give a little wave with no expression as you would when another biker passes.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Todd T
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Gpsjr10

I think I saw in J&P Catalog... (or maybe somewhere else) Exhaust that you can make loud or quiet with the flip of a switch on the handlebars.. Anyone tried these?
They are called peacemakers made by national cycle.

best thing to do is have your friendly neighborhood machinist make you an "EPA" die you can use to stamp your pipes with.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

How does something "look loud" to the extent that it can be used as a legal term which requires definition? The purpose of "law" is to establish defined requirements as opposed indifferent, non-informed opinion!

Jim aka kiltiemon