General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
djprey
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

Last week end I left my key for two days and drained the battery. I charged the battery and tried to start it. The starter just chattered. Then, I tried to jump it with a stand alone car battery. The starter engaged but wouldn't turn the motor over. It tried but just couldn't. After it tried to turn over my display would go blank. My headlight comes on bright and stays bright when I try to start it. I took the plugs out and the motor turns over fine. So, I know the starter is capable of working and the engine turns over fine. Is it possible that my starter could be dameged and just not cranking with enough power. I may try to bumb start it tommorrow. I have never had any problems with this bike ever. 8K miles. Dave. Appleton WI

Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Starting problems

Get a new battery. It is possible that jumping it from a started car battery will get it started but seeing as you left it on for two days just get a new battery for safety of not having it die on you somewhere. I jumped my wifes bike from a started car battery and it started right up. Make sure you ground one of the jumper cables to the frmae of the bike if you plan on doing this. I believe the negative cable gets grounded. I used the swingarm...