General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Parts Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Identification Help

Hello,
My dad was in the motorcycle world his whole life and died a little while ago. I was hoping to post some pictures of a bunch of parts I have into this thread and any information or comments on them would be helpful as I figure out what I am doing. Sadly, In the past several years I was unable to go over a lot of stuff with him because the situation didn't allow for it. I also don't know as much about motorcycles as I could.
His main bike he rode for most of his life is a 1946 FL Shovelhead/ generator/ kick start. He built everything on it including the frame. I am definitely not getting rid it.

The rest of this thread is going to be parts that he either held onto for some reason after working on someone else's bike, came off of one of his past bikes, or are backup parts to his main bike. It would be nice to know what I have going forward.

I'll start with this generator case and transmission.
Let me know if it makes more sense for me to share the pictures via links to a google drive.

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-generator-motor-case-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-generator-motor-case-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-generator-motor-case-3-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-generator-motor-case-4-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-transmission-1-.jpg  

Parts Identification Help-transmission-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-transmission-3-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-transmission-4-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-transmission-5-.jpg  

Last edited by knucklebone; 03-31-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear

Here is just half of another generator case.

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-generator-half-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-generator-half-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-generator-half-3-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-generator-half-4-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I can't help you much, other than wish you success and offer this website, which may help you get closer to identifying parts. If you then post in the appropriate 'Classic' models part of HDF you should find more expert members than me!

Old 04-01-2018, 02:10 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear

4 different carburetors.

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-carb-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-3-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-main-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-main-2-.jpg  

Parts Identification Help-carb-main.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-mikuni-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-mikuni.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-webber-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-carb-webber-2-.jpg  

Old 04-01-2018, 02:22 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear

A battery cover? Not even sure if it's bike?
Radiator coil..
Brevetti Sprint Filter cover to what?

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-battery-cover-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-battery-cover-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-hd-radiator-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-hd-radiator-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-brevetti-filte-1-.jpg  

Parts Identification Help-brevetti-filte-2-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 02:38 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Those cases look like they are from a knucklehead. There would be a number like 46FLxxxx stamped on one side. There should be numbers stamped on the bottom also like 146-xxxxx. Find a trusted source as I am no expert but they could be very valuable.

The following users liked this post:
knucklebone (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 03:18 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 697 Posts

some how, you can post a picture into a google search and google will return like images and perhaps leads.
i have never done this but someone on the forum probably has, any helpers out there?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:22 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear

4 crank shaft flywheel parts to something...

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-crank-shafts-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-crank-shafts-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-crank-shafts-4-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-crank-shafts-5-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-crank-shafts-6-.jpg  

Last edited by knucklebone; 04-01-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear

What would this engine stand type thing be?
And can anyone identify what the parts to some project in the one picture are? (if it's not bike stuff it could be jeep)

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-engine-stand.jpg   Parts Identification Help-project.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 09:29 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear

How would I identify these two sets of panheads?
One has 9 48 written on it

Attached Thumbnails Parts Identification Help-panhead-1-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-panhead-1-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-panhead-2-1-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-panhead-2-2-.jpg   Parts Identification Help-panhead-2-3-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Parts Identification Help