General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Death dreams and treasures

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018 | 06:39 PM
knucklebone
|
6th Gear
Default Death dreams and treasures

Hello all,

I'm not sure where to begin... Maybe I will try to just cut right to the chase. My dad died a little bit ago now. He was respected by peers in the motorcycle world. One of the many dreams I had growing up was to build my own bike with him. For the past many years however life has had setbacks and that dream never came around. I still hope to have a shop someday but in the mean time I am tasked with down sizing, organizing and going through the many different projects my dad had accumulated over his lifetime. I hope to consolidate as much as possible so that I can still afford to hang onto a bunch of it.
At the moment I have probably a full truck load of motorcycle parts... maybe enough to build 1 complete bike which was kind of the thought that my dad and I could do one day. The embarrassing thing is growing up around so much bike stuff, I know very little about it all considering. I hoped that this could have been a way to learn and spend time with him someday. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me figure out what is what if I were to post pictures over time in a thread on this forum? If so, what forum section would be best?

Old 03-20-2018 | 07:47 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

Depends. What model/year bike is it?

Old 03-20-2018 | 08:05 PM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome from Ohio.

I would start in the Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum in the General Topics section. Once you know more about what you got, you can gravitate to that forum to get even more specific help for your project. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2018 | 01:15 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome from Spartan Country Michigan!!
My suggestion is to hang around here and read what others say. Get an idea of what goes on in "our world". Understand some terminology, slang, buzz words, and talk. That should at least give you some thoughts and ideas of our world.
And sorry about your loss. One of the joys in my life was being able to show my son and son-in-law some things around their cars. and hopefully to my grandsons!

Old 03-21-2018 | 10:30 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain

Be sure you know how you're gong to gettitle and registration on whatever you build. Its a real heartbreaker to put a couple years work and a few grand into something and not be able to register it or ride it.