General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

New 'Old' scooter can't seem to get it running right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
BillyBubba8it
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New 'Old' scooter can't seem to get it running right?

So I got a great deal on a FXDP that was stripped of most of the DP stuff (bummer) but still a pretty nice ride. But I can't seem to get it running right. It sputters and and hesitates, and when it dies there's a sort of whoof in the exhaust pipe.

So the basics: It's a 2002 FXDP with something like 90,000 miles. I think most of the bike, beyond the cosmetics, is stock. It has a stock CV carb with a spike air cleaner. I have not done much to it at this point beyond new battery, new plugs (checked gap but was correct when I received), and I rebuilt the carb (oh, no).. it needs a new choke cable so I'm gonna order that today, and the plastic is broken and it's been zipped to the bracket!
Before I rebuilt the carb it would sputter and die, and when I rode it a few miles it died and after sitting a minute or so, it started up, and sputtered me home. After the rebuild, it runs better, but still sputters and does not seem to have a lot of power when turning the throttle.
I have tried to adjust the mixture screw and I can get a good idle, but when I give it the throttle it hesitates and sputters. The spike cleaner that is on the has those little crankcase breathers and oil will sometimes drip from the filter area. I know this is a common thing but thought it'd mention it upfront.
My first question is, with so many miles (I plan a top end once I have saved my SS check) can a worn engine cause issues, and if so, how do I recognize them? The bike seems to be pretty sound with not a lot of smoking (my son who rides, was behind me and told me it smoked slightly going down the road, but not bad) I'm not sure about the carb, but have done a few rebuilds many moons ago, and never had a problem, but I am out of practice, so I could have missed getting a passage totally clean, but I think I got all the gunk out, but the carb wa pretty clean on the inside with only a little sludge and hardly any varnish.
So anyone got suggestions, hints, or any ideas? I know an MMI grad but he's been hard to get in touch with right now as he's traveling, so till I can get him home, I'm on my own. Sorry about the long post, but wanted to minimize me having to post a bunch of "oh I forgot, I did this" replies. Any help wold be much appreciated.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

When you say it will start up again after sitting a few minutes makes me think a clogged pet **** or at least very dirty. Sounds like it's starving of gas. Drop the pet **** and inspect the screen around it.

Of course you should drain the tank first.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:09 PM
BillyBubba8it
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply, silveradoman2 ! I've got an update. My son and a couple of his friends, plus my nephew came over on their scooters. My nephew is a good mechanic ... cars, bikes, forklifts! he he! He located a spot on the spark plug wire that was intermittently shorting out. We fixed that, then he helped me fine tune the carb. It's still getting too much fuel, but I think it maybe the needle in the carb. It has an adjustable needle and I left it where it was when I rebuilt the carb. But it's getting fuel, too much fuel. The blow by is fuel rich, so it's either the needle is too high or I got something else wrong in the carb. As I posted in my new member post, I just picked this one up ($1500.00) so cheap I couldn't pass it up. I'm so old I really need one of them three wheeler thing-a-ma-bobs but I just can't bring myself to do so. (^: I just got it up and running so I need to invest in a few more new parts. The coil sits too close to the rear jug and the plug wire is gonna be problems in the future if I don't fix it. Like I said I just picked it up and I'm in the process of seeing what new parts I'm gonna have to invest in to be able to ride it this summer a bit. Then this coming fall/winter I will tear it down and probably do a top end job, paint, and that sort of stuff. But I really would like to ride it for a little while before I tear it apart.