General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

SEARCHED AND SEARCHED - Throttle lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Seattlekev
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SEARCHED AND SEARCHED - Throttle lock

OK, folks, I've been all the way through my Service Manual, searched and searched on the forum (I really hate the forum search engine - is there a way to narrow stuff down that I don't know about?) but I can't find any installation diagrams on the thumbscrew throttle lock (faux cruise control) on the bottom of the right switch control housing on my 08 SG. What is the HD term for the throttle lock anyways?
It never has worked since I got the bike and it's one of the things that I was going to address as I started to assemble my ape hangers.
There was a small rubber oval shaped piece that fell out when I pulled the housing apart. Did not see where it came from. The business end of the shaft of the thumbwheel is just a small point that would pierce the rubber if there were pressure applied upon it. That being said, the shaft is held in the housing using an Jesus-clip and it is not moving up and down at all. There appears to be the need for a shoe, styled like a brake shoe to apply pressure to the inner circle diameter of the grip, but that is not included on mine and would have to have pressure applied from the screw, which is not moving up and down. SMH
Anybody got ideas/pics/diagrams for me? I can post a few pics tonight, if need be. Thanx y'all!

Old 02-06-2018, 11:26 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts
Old 02-06-2018, 01:01 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Sorry to hear about your struggle, I hate those thumb wheels too. Not trying to spend your money but on all my non-cruise control bikes I have these: http://mycruisemate.com/index.html

We sell and install a ton of them. They mount in place of that shitty thumb wheel and give you a lever activated throttle lock. The tension is adjustable and you can manually override it without jacking up the throttle tube. Install takes about 30-45 min and you have to tap the threaded hole to accommodate the device but they are worth it. Any time we do a handlebar job at the shop we tell the customer about the cruise mate and the ones who get it love it, the ones that don't come back and get one after the stock one breaks/falls out whathaveyou. Have a look and consider setting the stock unit on fire, or crush it with a hammer or something!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Crossbone Canuck
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I put a set of ape hangers on my 09 Crossbones last year and one of the things I did was add the Cruise Mate.

Takes about 15 minutes to install and is significantly better than the OEM thumb screw. Well worth the $40 investment

Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,213 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Those thumb wheels are dangerous junk. Check out these. Easy to work, never have to take your hand off the throttle. Best 30 bucks I ever spent.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/cruise.aspx

Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Seattlekev
Novice
Default Thanks Joe!

Appreciate the forward buddy! I was missing the spring in the equation, but in further review, the housing head literally no threads left in it. Got lucky and found a used takeoff at the dealer for $10 and I'm back on my way. Thanks man!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Seattlekev
Novice

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Those thumb wheels are dangerous junk. Check out these. Easy to work, never have to take your hand off the throttle. Best 30 bucks I ever spent.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/cruise.aspx

Thank you all with the accessory info. May have to go that way. Appreciate all the help fellers!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

It's not a throttle lock, but a "throttle tension adjustment".

Old 02-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Seattlekev
Novice
Default Thanx all

Got the switches put into the new lower housing last night. Kinda like doing surgery on mouse, but we got er. I'll get these bars on and the stereo in and then we'll look at things like the Cruise Mate. Thanx again folks!

Old 02-09-2018, 05:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bad tappets
It's not a throttle lock, but a "throttle tension adjustment".
Exactly, I've had them on most of my bikes for over 50 years. I use them to provide a little friction, to stop the twist-grip snapping closed and to ease the effort required to hold it open. They never were intended as a 'cruise control' thing.