General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Trouble starting my 2013 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:17 PM
marcrhoades
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble starting my 2013 Street Glide

Hey all,
New to the Harley family - just purchased a 2013 Street Glide from a secondary buyer. Purchased it 3 weeks ago, but wasn't able to ride for various reasons - out of country, bad weather, etc. When we got back in town, I didn't know to have it on a battery tender, which I have since purchased and had it on for several days.

When I went to start it up this afternoon, it clicks incessantly but won't turn over. The battery tender was all green when I took it off so thought I'd have no trouble.

It started right up when I took possession and he didn't mention any issues - what type of things should I check? Read somewhere that the key fob battery can go out - what happens or doesn't happen when that's the case?

Open to some suggestions.

Marc

Old 01-27-2018, 03:05 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by marcrhoades
Hey all,
New to the Harley family - just purchased a 2013 Street Glide from a secondary buyer. Purchased it 3 weeks ago, but wasn't able to ride for various reasons - out of country, bad weather, etc. When we got back in town, I didn't know to have it on a battery tender, which I have since purchased and had it on for several days.

When I went to start it up this afternoon, it clicks incessantly but won't turn over. The battery tender was all green when I took it off so thought I'd have no trouble.

It started right up when I took possession and he didn't mention any issues - what type of things should I check? Read somewhere that the key fob battery can go out - what happens or doesn't happen when that's the case?

Open to some suggestions.

Marc
have you checked the battery connections..?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:26 PM
marcrhoades
Stage IV

Guess I assumed since it's sat for a few weeks and started when I put it there that battery connections would/should be fine, but I'll give it a check for sure.

m.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Maintenance charger only reads volts, so the battery on it could easy show 12.7 or so after you hit the lights on one time to remove charger higher charge and still be worn out. But a DC volt meter when cranking. It's done if after a good charge, it drops below 9 2 volts.
If connection is good, you probably just need a new battery. It's probably the original. Four to five years and these small gel mat AGM are totally sulfated and have little CCA left.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-27-2018 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marcrhoades (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Test your battery. Some other threads here on that topic.

if you don't have the testing equipment to check voltage and load pull the battery and have it tested. Could be the oem battery.

if your hearing a clicking sound your starter is not getting the amps needed to crank. The key fob battery is another issue. It should also be replaced periodically to insure start up. That would be a security feature not related to battery cranking.

The following users liked this post:
marcrhoades (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 PM
marcrhoades
Stage IV

Ripsaw & Taggs - thanks - both of those were helpful.

Probably worth it for me to buy a battery testing equipment.

Do I need to buy a Harley battery? What's the best one to get should I need one?

Marc

Old 01-27-2018, 05:10 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Do I need to buy a Harley battery? What's the best one to get should I need one?

Marc
If the battery is original most likely just needs replacing. Did my 2013 last year. Betting the seller had it good and warmed up and on tender before you arrived for sale.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Marc
You absolutely need a Volt/Ohm meter at minimum. Actually test equipment for the battery is quite expensive. Most all Auto part stores will check it free. You need to take it out. Charge it good since the check is no good without it being fully charged and the equipment set to the correct CCA.
My last two batteries have been from Walmart. Just make sure they have the correct one.
Can't go wrong with Harley but it's twice what Walmart's is.
Never load test hooked up plus you get a new good connection when you take it out. Never jump a Harley except in an emergency. Battery could be bad and once running could subject the alternator stator or voltage regulator to damaging loads. Big bucks replacing a stator.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

Welcome from Spartan Country Michigan!
First I recommend you get a factory service manual and the parts manual. much good information in those two books. If you are not mechanically inclined, be cautious on what you buy or do. if you don't have a good tool set, start by buying kits or tools as you need them. Buy the best you can afford. Quality tools are an investment. If you are mechanically inclined and have tools, you know what I mean.
Read the different threads here on this forum. Lots of good info here. The battery issue has been recently discussed....good info there.
and if you really don't know, understand, or would rather not, find a good mechanic and talk to him.
Good luck!!

Old 01-28-2018, 02:11 AM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Why don't you jump start it and ride for a couple of hours? Come back home and see if the battery is charged or not.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting my 2013 Street Glide