General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Best Siphon???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017 | 02:25 PM
BuzzCap7
|
Club Member
Default Best Siphon???

1) Which SIPHON(s) would u suggest works best for the GAS TANKS of the NEWER HD touring bikes say 2017 and NEWER?

2) Can't I just go to a local hardware store and but about 4' long rubber tubing with a narrow diameter? Slide 1 end into the tank and the other, just suck on the end pulling the fuel up and out?

(((I am asking since I just paid almost $200 to get rubber tubing out of my gas tank that broke off in my gas tank when I was helping a guy out who ran out of gas. The tubing got stuck down and under a shelf and you could not see the tubing to grab it.)))

Your thoughts on the BEST simple siphon.

Sounds simple but I find (my NOT being mechanically inclined) others come up with great ideas. Obvious to others, not to me.

Thank you in advance,

BuzzCap7

Old 12-23-2017 | 02:44 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
1) Which SIPHON(s) would u suggest works best for the GAS TANKS of the NEWER HD touring bikes say 2017 and NEWER?

2) Can't I just go to a local hardware store and but about 4' long rubber tubing with a narrow diameter? Slide 1 end into the tank and the other, just suck on the end pulling the fuel up and out?

(((I am asking since I just paid almost $200 to get rubber tubing out of my gas tank that broke off in my gas tank when I was helping a guy out who ran out of gas. The tubing got stuck down and under a shelf and you could not see the tubing to grab it.)))

Your thoughts on the BEST simple siphon.

Sounds simple but I find (my NOT being mechanically inclined) others come up with great ideas. Obvious to others, not to me.

Thank you in advance,

BuzzCap7
Why not ask one of our resident libs, Keith, Glyder, Roni, etal.?

Old 12-23-2017 | 07:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Whats wrong with simple fuel line.. The rubber reinforced stuff. 3/8.. 5/16? if your bike has a crossover tube on the tank, get the same size. If not 3/8.. Not sure how you got your other fuel line but it's good to know what side of the tank your fuel pump / gas gauge is on. That's probably where you got your old hose hung up..

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-23-2017 | 08:33 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member

I saw something a while back for the newer injected bikes. You just unhook the fuel line exiting the tank and snap the siphon in place and put the other end of the hose in the empty bike. When you turn your key on and the pump kicks in, it will not build pressure so it won't shut off. I simply pumps fuel into the empty bike.

BuzzCap7 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-23-2017 | 08:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
I saw something a while back for the newer injected bikes. You just unhook the fuel line exiting the tank and snap the siphon in place and put the other end of the hose in the empty bike. When you turn your key on and the pump kicks in, it will not build pressure so it won't shut off. I simply pumps fuel into the empty bike.
Got idea but the pump will shut off after about 4 seconds. The ecu does not read pressure. You can toggle the run/stop switch tho.

BuzzCap7 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017 | 07:02 AM
BuzzCap7
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Whats wrong with simple fuel line.. The rubber reinforced stuff. 3/8.. 5/16? if your bike has a crossover tube on the tank, get the same size. If not 3/8.. Not sure how you got your other fuel line but it's good to know what side of the tank your fuel pump / gas gauge is on. That's probably where you got your old hose hung up..
See comment below pls.

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
One of the guys did un-attach the line on the left side of the tank of his newer HD touring bike underneath where the line comes out (or in) but it required to push in a small ball or pin or something there.

Upon pushing the little "stop valve" type thing in, the gas came out slowly and uncontrollable making capturing the gas virtually impossible. <-- I mentioned this to the service writer and he said that, that would be hard to do.

There appears to be so few responses to this siphoning issue, it appears an easy solution is not available.

If there is no workable way to do this, then I will guess I can only get a 4 foot long rubber tubing (1 piece) with a small diameter or get the siphon designed with the pump action.

I have often seen bikes out of gas (sadly) so you would think Harley would have a simple solution to this not so uncommon issue.

I checked and do not even see HD selling a siphon. Maybe that would look bad for them....

BuzzCap7

Old 12-24-2017 | 07:30 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I have one of these from Harbor Freight & use it to siphon fuel from vehicles & yard equipment. Haven't used on bike yet, but sure it would do a good job w/it too...

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-63144.html

BuzzCap7 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017 | 09:13 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
See comment below pls.

One of the guys did un-attach the line on the left side of the tank of his newer HD touring bike underneath where the line comes out (or in) but it required to push in a small ball or pin or something there.

Upon pushing the little "stop valve" type thing in, the gas came out slowly and uncontrollable making capturing the gas virtually impossible. <-- I mentioned this to the service writer and he said that, that would be hard to do.

snip
BuzzCap7
You need to get the fitting that slips into the tank and attach it to the hose.. That way you don't spill anything. If close enough you can feed directly into the other bikes tank.. As stated tho you have to cycle the run stop to get significant fuel out.. and I'd add, it takes a while.

BuzzCap7 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017 | 09:56 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

perhaps it was a fluke that your hose parted.
to eliminate that issue you could use a piece of copper tubing to go inside the tank and then attach the hose externally. i usually replace soft fuel lines internal to tanks on my mowers and such due to the issue of the lines failing, trust me, you do not want to have to push a zero turn mower against by-passed motors, worst than pushing a dead harley.
if you have a fuel pump relay, then pull it and jumper the socket for the pump to run, my take, why run the pump if you do not have to. there is one more option but not for faint of heart, make a fitting that will replace a fastener on the pump plate, last resort to me as other is easier.

BuzzCap7 (12-24-2017)