General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Battery or other problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:26 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Battery or other problem?

I have a 2016 Softail Slim S with the 110 engine. It has a PC5 installed with Vance and Hines short pipes. I bought it new in September of 2016. It currently has 7700 miles on it and I had a Frankenstein trike kit added around the 2000 mile mark. Also at this time, I had the bank angle sensor re-programmed to trike mode so the engine wouldn't shut off on aggressive corners. I did not have the easy start upgrade offered by HD since I never had any problems starting it and fear the PC5 flash and the bank angle sensor re-program would get wiped out.

Up until yesterday I have never had any issues starting the bike cold or hot. Well, after a short 10 minute stop it didn't start on the first attempt but then did on the 2nd. While riding I noticed the fuel warning light was on and reserve showed 36 miles remaining. I knew this was a false reading since per my trip meter I should have had 80ish miles left. I decided to shut the bike off at a red light to see if it would reset and read properly. It took 5 attempts for the bike to start seeming to be a lack of battery power. After finally starting the reserve reading now showed 78 miles remaining and the low fuel light did not come back on. When home I checked he battery cables and they seemed tight.

I do not keep a battery tender on the bike but ride it at least 1 time per week.

1) Under these circumstances could a battery only last 1 year?
2) Would a weak battery cause the fuel gauge false reading?

Thanks for your professional insight.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:11 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

Depending on the state of charge when the battery was installed it's possible that it was never fully charged. Even though you ride it weekly it may not be long enough for it to charge. Get it fully charged and load tested.
A battery tender is always good to have hooked up.
You also need to check your battery cables, both at the terminal and the ground. A loose or dirty connection will create strange electrical problems.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:22 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevil
Depending on the state of charge when the battery was installed it's possible that it was never fully charged. Even though you ride it weekly it may not be long enough for it to charge. Get it fully charged and load tested.
A battery tender is always good to have hooked up.
You also need to check your battery cables, both at the terminal and the ground. A loose or dirty connection will create strange electrical problems.
Thanks for the reply. I usually ride a minimum of 30 miles every time I take it out and have been on multiple 8 hour days. I also like to keep the RPM's up. I'm never below 2500 and usually ride around 2700 to 2800, so I would assume that is sufficient to keep it charged. I will take your advice and get it tested tomorrow and hopefully it is just a shot battery.

I wonder how much the security system plays into this with the constant blinking red light while sitting in the garage?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,954 Likes on 4,032 Posts

It don't need a tender but on bigger motors the batteries on the dynas and softails don't last as long.. 2 years is about all I get out of a 2000 dyna that's a 116. I would try to get a v twin power battery LI as a replacement is the battery is the issue but it sort of sounds like you need to check the battery connections.. Real common for terminals to come loose on the battery.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Update:

I went to Batteries Plus and had them run a test. They said there was nothing wrong with the battery and was as good as new. I guess I will write it off as the 110 hot starting problem. The false fuel reading remains as mystery though. I'll just keep on riding and never cut it off at a red light again.