General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Seat recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Badgoat
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Seat recommendation

Goodmorning all,

I own a 2017 Heritage Softail Classic and I'm looking to upgrade my seat. I ride two up quite a bit. Wife is about 5' 10" and 200 and I'm looking for something super comfy for both myself and her for longer distances. I think something with a backrest for myself would be nice too

Just curious on your inputs.

Thank you you for the help!

Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Mustang Vintage Wide Solo with Driver Backrest and matching passenger seat. The front seat is 17.5" wide, the rear is 14" wide. This seat is by far the most comfortable one I have used on a softail...

Old 08-30-2017, 12:31 PM
jlmwrite
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a '16, and both our butts go numb after an hour on the stock seats. I'm 6' and 220 pounds; she's 5'4" and 130 pounds.

I tested a Signature smooth (cuz I wanted a backrest) but it was no more comfortable for me. Then tried the Mustang Vintage wide solo. I had high hopes for it, but after a few days of short and long rides, I sent it back as it still had hot spots for me. In addition, the passenger seat cut into her thighs. I just got a Saddleman Ultimate Comfort two-up seat, and after one ride we're very hopeful this will be the right one. Hope to take a longer ride today and see what happens after at least an hour in the saddle.

However, most people truly like the Mustang seat. It does have excellent reviews. It just wasn't the right seat for me. I will say the fit and finish on it was amazing.

Harley has two different seats that you may be able to demo through your dealership, the Signature Smooth and the Sundowner. As I said, the Signature didn't work for me, although she liked the passenger ride. None of the dealerships near me has a Sundowner for the Heritage in stock, so I can't comment on it.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Badgoat
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlmwrite
I have a '16, and both our butts go numb after an hour on the stock seats. I'm 6' and 220 pounds; she's 5'4" and 130 pounds.

I tested a Signature smooth (cuz I wanted a backrest) but it was no more comfortable for me. Then tried the Mustang Vintage wide solo. I had high hopes for it, but after a few days of short and long rides, I sent it back as it still had hot spots for me. In addition, the passenger seat cut into her thighs. I just got a Saddleman Ultimate Comfort two-up seat, and after one ride we're very hopeful this will be the right one. Hope to take a longer ride today and see what happens after at least an hour in the saddle.

However, most people truly like the Mustang seat. It does have excellent reviews. It just wasn't the right seat for me. I will say the fit and finish on it was amazing.

Harley has two different seats that you may be able to demo through your dealership, the Signature Smooth and the Sundowner. As I said, the Signature didn't work for me, although she liked the passenger ride. None of the dealerships near me has a Sundowner for the Heritage in stock, so I can't comment on it.
jlm,

What a wonderful and insightful post. Thank you for your comment and guidance. I definitely have narrowed down my options. Thank you again