General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Statefarm-outlaw
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake light not working

Hey guys so my here's what's going on. I just bought a 95 dyna low rider. Didn't come with tail light. I ordered a new light just came in today. It has 2 wires come out of light. Wen light is mounted only tail light works no brake. I also shimmed my rear brake lever so I would have constant power to switch

So obviously I'm I'm not worried about taillight any more I know it works. So I'm tested my rear brake light wires wen DISCONNECTED from light. So coming from ignition to the switch got good constant normal power. With back brake puched down, the wire going from switch to tail light. Also had normal reads, normal voltage, continuity was fine. Test light works on it.

But as soon as I tough the taillight wire to wire going to the switch I loose all volts to. Test light won't light no volts, I unplug the light wire gets power back. And remember my taillight works fine so the taillight must be grounded good and I also checked the resistance of the taillight location and it was fine. Light bulb also is good positive of it.

Now if I use the wire from ignition got to switch, if I use that wire and go straight to taillight, brake light will shine. So that means there's a short somewhere from the brake switch to brake light. Or could a bad break switch make it do that? Or am I missing a ground? Any idea would help a lot thanks