General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Lightweight riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Lightweight riding boots

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight riding boot. After 4 knee surgery's and 53 years the knees really struggle with the weight of some of these boots. It doesn't help I wear a 12/13 boot. Not worried about looks as much as comfort and good road grip when stopped. I have a pair of Harley boots now and after a couple hours at work my feet and knees are killing me. Most of the time I wear running shoes and I know I can't expect to find that comfort just trying to find something in between. I was looking at Wilcox boots but can't seem to find much feedback on them but they look like they are made pretty nice...

Old 02-11-2017, 09:33 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Check out some of the "light weight" hiking boots out there. While no light weight model will provide the protection of a heavier weight model, some of the better quality light hikers or light weight work boots may be a good compromise for you. I work in commercial construction and a lot of guys are wearing light weight Danner work boots these days. Also check out climbing boots. I have a pair of LaSportiva Trangos for climbing, very light, pretty stiff, good support/protection. I wear these riding sometimes, comfortable!

Last edited by bad tappets; 02-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:41 AM
ford13
Advanced
Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had a couple pairs of Alpinestars boots, they were both light weight and fine for wearing during the day at work. http://www.alpinestars.com/road/footwear

Old 02-11-2017, 01:18 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 1,085 Posts

You should check over the Duty Boots made by Danner. Great boots and great fit.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:41 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Timberland Hikers are like house slippers. Short boot, waterproof and excellent traction on all surfaces.

They are without question the best riding boot I have ever had. I tried different Harley Boots but they always made my feet hurt

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-11-2017, 02:31 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I would give a look to Merrell Moab Mid. I wear boots every day all day from 12 -16 hours a day. I wear the ventilator version of the merrel moab mid's for a cooler foot but you may prefer a non ventilated version. The mid covers the ankle joint.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:24 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

For a lightweight riding boot, I'm a fan of the Redwing #6691 Hiker Boot. Some of the features this boot has that I find important are:
1. Waterproof
2. Aluminum Toe
3. Vibram outer sole.

Disadvantages
1. Non-welt construction
2. Expensive

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...ker-boot-black

Old 02-11-2017, 06:55 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a pair of the Timberlines and they are hot in the summer. I wear.....yea ok laugh at this...a pair of Ariat Roper cowboy boots with the rubber sole. They work out great for riding

Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 AM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wear the Magnum Boots brand . . . there's a variety of styles and fetaures. These are the boots the cops wear. You can buy them on line or at Bob's if you have one near you. Here's a link to see what they look like: http://www.magnumboots.com/gl/. I think they're lightweight but durable for riding. They're also comfortable. I like the ones that are ankle high for the support.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnieM
I have a pair of the Timberlines and they are hot in the summer. I wear.....yea ok laugh at this...a pair of Ariat Roper cowboy boots with the rubber sole. They work out great for riding
Nothing wrong with Roper style boots. I wore the heel off my Wolverines. Great boot!

Quick Reply: Lightweight riding boots