General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Switchback FLD windshields

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:02 PM
telboy1965
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Switchback FLD windshields

Hi all, bought a 2016 Dyna Switchback and have to say was very disappointed with the stock windshield. Pretty much ineffective with really vigorous buffeting to helmet at anything over 100kmp/h plus (I'm 5ft 10"). This to the point of being really uncomfortable and kills your ride buzz.

I took matters into my own hands and ordered a Klockwerks replacement which had the flared top and sides but the same story really although was less buffeting than stock HD screen.

Anyone else had this? I think it may be the rake angle of the screen where it mounts to the bike. Perhaps an increased rake would reduce / remove this buffeting effect? Custom mount required??

Any thoughts appreciated, cheers

Old 11-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Wear a FF helmet and no windshield.

Check out this experiment I tried.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...nt-failed.html

Last edited by Qdog002; 11-08-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:22 PM
telboy1965
Stage III

Yeah I do already but seems ridiculous that screen is so poorly designed

Old 11-09-2016, 11:51 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by telboy1965
Yeah I do already but seems ridiculous that screen is so poorly designed

Poorly designed for who? Point being, obviously you (nor I) were the person they designed for.

I have an FLD also and, like you, did not find the stocker great. I've gone to an 18" LRS recurve windshield and, it's worked well for me for reducing buffeting. Having said that, I've collected a few seats (HD Tallboy, Mustang Wide Touring solo and Corbin Classic solo). Depending on the seat and helmet (Nolan N44 and Schuberth C3) I'm wearing, will / will not put me into buffer zone due to the differences in height that I get positioned to.

Lastly, check out the Switchback owner's group. A bunch of FLD'ers have gone to Road King like fangs (fork mounted wind deflectors). Aside from polarizing looks, users report excellent results in reduction of turbulence coming from the underside of the tank. Next time you're out riding, while moving, take your left arm and lay it across your chest / abdomen area at a 90 degree angle. I think you'll find you're buffeting it lessened as your arm is now blocking the wind coming up from the underside of the tank. The "fangs" block the wind coming up from the underside of the tank.

The following users liked this post:
telboy1965 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 12:17 PM
telboy1965
Stage III

Thanks for the response, I had other buddies of mine ride and they vary in height from me with the same results effectively therefore I stand by my design comment. I have a BMW S1000R with an MRA screen (upgraded from stock deflector) which is hugely effective and about 1/5 the size in surface area. My friend's Triumph Explorer screen works perfectly and another's Triumph Thunderbird screen is also very functional.

I really don't understand why HD wouldn't release something that works properly straight out of the box (adjustable maybe??). Was the same for this bike (bought brand new in June) with major vibration at 2200-2500 rpm until stock exhaust swapped out to a Nightstick by dealer...

However, I like the idea of different seats and have one on the way which may well make a difference as you say.

The experiment thread you pointed me too is interesting, proving perhaps that the airflow comes from below so maybe those "fangs" will work and I'll certainly test the arm across the chest to see what difference it makes.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by telboy1965
Thanks for the response, I had other buddies of mine ride and they vary in height from me with the same results effectively therefore I stand by my design comment. I have a BMW S1000R with an MRA screen (upgraded from stock deflector) which is hugely effective and about 1/5 the size in surface area. My friend's Triumph Explorer screen works perfectly and another's Triumph Thunderbird screen is also very functional.

I really don't understand why HD wouldn't release something that works properly straight out of the box (adjustable maybe??). Was the same for this bike (bought brand new in June) with major vibration at 2200-2500 rpm until stock exhaust swapped out to a Nightstick by dealer...

However, I like the idea of different seats and have one on the way which may well make a difference as you say.

The experiment thread you pointed me too is interesting, proving perhaps that the airflow comes from below so maybe those "fangs" will work and I'll certainly test the arm across the chest to see what difference it makes.

Thanks again for your reply

My last bike was a Suzuki SV1000S that I modded for comfort (Convertibars, Sargeant seat, Puig Sport Touring windshield and Buell pegs), and yeah, the airflow really worked.....comfort still wasn't all that, but airflow was good.

Not sure if you know, but any Road King windshield will work on the FLD since the hole arrangement is the same. Again, I find the LRS windshield to be a great improvement over stock. If you hit their site just after a big rally event (Sturges, Laconia, etc.), they usually have windshields on sale. My also has her own FLD and also uses a LRS windshield. For both of us, it made riding our bikes a more pleasurable experience.

Also, if you still get vibration from the exhaust, go on the Switchback forum and search for "Clevis Pin Mod". You may be able to find it on this this site as well. Before I switched out to a full system V&H ProPipe, I did this mod (cost is somewhere around $5 in total for a clevis pin, washers, etc.) and it removed about 85-90% of the vibrations. Going to a full system totally removed the offensive vibes.

Good luck!

Last edited by rauchman; 11-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.