General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Replacing rubber mats on old-style halfmoon floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:34 AM
RoadKingMD
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replacing rubber mats on old-style halfmoon floorboards

Hey guys!

I have old-style halfmoon floorboards on my Road King that I absolutely love.

Unfortunately one of the rubbers tore a bit and they are quite worn off, so I'm looking at the replacement mats.

I tought the change will be clean like changing standard floorboard inserts, but from what I see the mats are glued to the floorboard.

So please correct me if I'm wrong...

I have to rip them off and remove the glue (I always love doing these kind of things.... not....)? ... And the new ones? ...do they have some adhesive on the back or is it painful gluing time (with god knows what glue that won't destroy the rubber and adhere - but not too much for eventual future change)...

Many thanks!!!

Old 11-06-2016, 03:57 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

If you look on the underside of the floorboard, you should see some "rubber *****".

Just use some needle nose plies, pinch and push up on those "rubber *****" to remove the floorboard inserts.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:12 AM
RoadKingMD
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the answer. I know this procedure with them rubber ***** since I've done it - but it's for "regular" floorboards when changing inserts.

I'm asking about changing the rubber mats on the top of the oldstyle floorboards (I have attached the pictures). Them knuckle/panheads had multiple screws all around the mat, but the new ones seem to be glued

Old 11-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

I had aftermarket boards on my sporty....lost the rubber mats.... I found the old ribbed rubber floor runners that pretty much were the same as the board mats.... I used a 3M product that we used when I was a mechanic...we called it gorilla snot... it was a weatherstrip adhesive that was yellow in color. spread that out a bit and it stuck the rubber to the metal floor boards. as far as future removal??? you could pull the old rubber off, and clean it up with a wire wheel in a drill motor and be good as new. held the mats well, came off if needed, and if it loosened up, a quick squirt would bind it down again.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM
Luis G. Alvarado
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 moon HD floorboards

Originally Posted by RoadKingMD
Hey guys!

I have old-style halfmoon floorboards on my Road King that I absolutely love.

Unfortunately one of the rubbers tore a bit and they are quite worn off, so I'm looking at the replacement mats.

I tought the change will be clean like changing standard floorboard inserts, but from what I see the mats are glued to the floorboard.

So please correct me if I'm wrong...

I have to rip them off and remove the glue (I always love doing these kind of things.... not....)? ... And the new ones? ...do they have some adhesive on the back or is it painful gluing time (with god knows what glue that won't destroy the rubber and adhere - but not too much for eventual future change)...

Many thanks!!!

where did you did you find these glue on HD 1/2 moon floorboards. I came across and old HD that has the same kind of floorboards that need to be replace.

Floorboards on this bike have been there since 1968 it's a Frankenstein Harley-Davidson bike

This is what she's looking like now but the floorboards are all dried and cracked

Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,997 Likes on 2,866 Posts

^ J&P Cycles # 5500050
And many other vendors