General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Older Fatalities!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Fatalities!

There is a lengthy article in the paper this morning regarding the recent surge in motorcycle fatalities involving older riders. I can't say that its a very timely article being that I just closed the deal on my "bigger, more powerful motorcycle".

The reporter who wrote the article interviewed someone with the National transportation and Safety Board (NTSB)who stated that the recent increase in fatalities involving older riders was due to (us) baby boomers who are now finding themselves with empty nests, more desposable income, and an urge to recapture their lost youth. Because of this, we oldsters are rushing over to the local dealership and buying big-assed (my term, not their's) motorcycles.

The result is that a bunch of us gray-beards are now lurching around in our new leathers riding these BAMs (big-assed motorcycle) without taking the time to attend any safety training, even to a minimum degree, and killing ourselves in the process. The bad thing is...its true!

That Deuce I just bought is nothing like that Honda I used to ride, or even that Triumph Bonneville. Its a different animal altogether, I believe. It will sit in my garage until after I complete the safety course scheduled locally for the beginning of March. And, I don't intend to stop there. We can't be too deligent in our prusuit of reducing risks while enjoying taking the breeze on our bikes.

Sorry if this post is too long. I just feel that all this is important.

Ride safe

Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM
rdking
Tourer
Default RE: Older Fatalities!

Yeah, but what a way to go!!? Beats cancer or a heart attack all to heck (he said, four fifths joking and one fifth serious). But five fifths (and I don't even drink) serious, these stats simply and more than likely reflect much larger numbers in the "boomer" age group taking up cycling. If you had a sudden jump in the numbers of 20-30 year old riders you'd see the same rise in fatalities just due to greater numbers of them on the streets. There is no doubt some truth in the article but there is a just enough sensationalism and controversy in the article (although subtle) so it helps sell the publication, the implication being "boomers" are unsafe riders. Now if they were talking about 80-90 year old riders with their much slower reflexes, poorer eyesight, and slower brain function I would be much less inclined to dismiss the article. As a group. I would bet that 50-60 year old riders are just as safe as 20-30 year old riders. I would further predict that the "safety factor" for 60-70 year old riders would not appreciably change until the late 60's to early 70's. At that point reflexes and brain processing certainly begin to slow to a more noticeable degree and the "safety factor" would certainly begin to become an issue for some riders, certainly not all.
As far as motorcycle safety classes go, we would definitely ALL benefit from that and I think it is a very wise choice to enroll. So I give kudos to anyone who completes one. Even though I've ridden motorcycles on and off for 30 years I'm giving serious thought to enrolling in a safety class myself. Bound to learn something. Maybe a lot. Enroll in the safety class and take the article with a grain of salt.[8D]

Old 01-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also add, there are more cars on the road today and many less experienced drivers, that equates to more accidents and fatalities.

Everyone needs to be more cautious on and off the road.

I can't stress enough ... "Watch out for the other guy!" [8D]

Old 01-23-2005, 08:29 PM
grumpygit
Tourer

Part of the justification for me getting the Harley, was realising that it was only a matter of time before I either lost my license or my life. After a few years off bikes, I bought a 600 Fazer. A "small" bike for pootling about on. Trouble was, I found it would outperform my previous bike - an old GSX1100 (which I used to drag race). All too frequently, I found myself riding like I used to when I was younger...a crazyass! The bike made it too easy, it was powerful, light, handled and would stop dead with 2 fingers on the brake. Combine that with the amount of traffic on the roads now, and the speed cameras and number plate recognition systems available to the police, it was increasingly clear that it was only a matter of time...

Now, I'm happy to take things at a more relaxed pace. The Harley suits me fine. It will go plenty fast enough when I want to. Mostly I just don't want to. I enjoy riding the bike, rather than needing the adrenalin rush from the speed. That's what its all about. And maybe I'll live longer, too. [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 01-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I reccomend MSF courses to every one, not just newbies. Even us seasoned riders can get something fron an experienced riders course. Personally, I ride like I'm invisable, also at 5-10 over the traffic flow, picking my way thru. Cagers cant see us as they are pre-occupied with lattes and phones. I love startling the bastards.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:14 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

HMMM,

Well, I'm 37, so I'm not part of this "group" referred to in the article. [sm=innoc.gif]
My solution? All you old farts (that's anyone over 37), drive your blue haired self over to the house, leave your bike, and get back in your cage.

Better yet, have it shipped. I don't want you wreckin' my new rides. [sm=lol.gif]

Mac

Old 01-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran across this...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/21/mot....ap/index.html

Old 01-23-2005, 10:56 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

msf course is always good.

jezcruzen. It sounds like you have plenty of experience. The course will only help you in the way that it might help you identify danger. If you have all that experience in riding i dont know if it would help you in any way become a better rider as far as control is concerned. I bought my deuce in august, drove for a couple of weeks with a learners permit before i took the msf course and got my license. I learned alot and it helped me. My experience with riding was mainly offroad and on road illigally with a bike i owned about ten years ago.

Msf course will be good to take in the spring but if there is a nice day before the course i would go for it. I understand your point though- safety first always.

David

Old 01-24-2005, 12:17 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Their have been several articles similar to the ones discussed in this thread lately. Part of the reason is there are more accidents, so they draw attention. And part of the reason is that some certain organizations, gooberment and otherwise, have to justify their existence to keep the cash coming.

Whenever the gooberment gets involved, you can bet money is involved, directly or indirectly. And it seems the stuff that gets into print has just enough info to allow the reader to come to the conclusion the gooberment desires. It ain't only with bikes, look at all the hooraw about firearms.

This latest info leaves out certain bits of information that is needed to come to a reliable conclusion. While there is no doubt that there are more of us ol' farts getting whopped on bikes, the bikes tend to be bigger and more powerful, too many of 'em are happening after downing liquid stupidity, and that maybe we shoulda gotten some initial or refresher training.

But that ain't the whole story. One thing I noticed immediately is the lack of anything to do with the rate of fatalities. If I have 10 biker deaths this year and then 4 years later have 20 biker deaths, but the number of bikers tripled or quadrupled, the death rate actually went down, and that means us ol' fart bikers are safer overall. And there is nothing there about miles traveled. If the miles traveled have increased four-fold but the deaths have only doubled, once again the rate has decreased. I don't know what the actual rates are, but the lack of them in the article is disturbing. Past experience indicates that usually means the gooberment is going after something, truth be damned.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:56 AM
dm_gsxr
Cruiser

There's another article floating around that shows that the motorcycle industry is expecting to break one million bike sales in 2004. The last time it did that was in 1979 and it was at its lowest in the mid 90's. So with more riders you get more accidents.

Another data point is that they aren't noting any rate. 100 deaths per 100,000 for example. This is just an over dramatic article.

And just one more, Motorcycle Consumer News (a great ad-free magazine I might add) had an article a few issues back on the increase of injuries and deaths due to the increased number of SUVs and mini-vans. If a bike hits a car, you incur lower body damage. As I did in my accident many years ago. With more larger vehicles, you don't fly over it but hit it as if you hit a wall incuring upper body damage. Of course that's where your vital organs are located hence an increased chance of death.

That's not to say you shouldn't wear all the gear, all the time or shouldn't attend the MSF classes; basic and/or the enhanced class. Understand the risks and "ride the world".

Carl

Quick Reply: Older Fatalities!