General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Older Fatalities!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:56 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Older Fatalities!

(hehehehehe....still DO!)

Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ball bearings, bout 3/8 dia do it for me...

Old 02-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Pirate's show of restraint...

Old 02-28-2005, 05:46 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, he showed more restraint than I would have! Good going!!
I'm not 50 yet (well, give me a couple of years) and have been fortunate to have been riding since I was 12 (Okay, I looked 14!!) and have recently taken a MSF Course and thought it was GREAT!!! There were several bad habits I have had for many, many years and was able to fine tune my abilities. HOWEVER, there were a couple of 'older' guys (one 50 the other 52) who were in the class and scared the hell out of me. The first one had just bought a metric cruiser, knew all of the book answers and seemed to know a lot (anyway he always volunteered his knowledge) the second one had an older HD in his garage which had been stored for 15+ years and had recently got it restored. He would appear to be listening and nodding his head, but I think it was nodding from his brain sleeping. On the last day of the course when you have to basically demonstrate what you learned in several exercises the know-it-all did just O.K. but had to redo almost every exercise and was noticeably embarrassed by the end of his ride demonstration. The HD guy put his bike down three times and finally broke off his front turn signal when he got the panic braking in a corner sequence backwards…. (you know, straighten the bike up and apply both brakes hard). He shook it off and said with more practice he would get it right….
[:@]C’mon guys, we all know we have limitations!!! I hope to take some more advanced MSF courses and who knows, become certified and start teaching them on the weekend for the helluva it!!

Old 02-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,862 Likes on 807 Posts

I definitely agree that loads of accidents are caused by unaware cagers. Any time I've ridden, I've had to have to have eyes all the way around my head... ******** cutting me off, merging into my lane while I'm beside them, riding my *** at 110 km/h, etc... even when I'm driving a car, I am always on the lookout for ****holes not paying attention... guess who most of the people that do the stupid **** are? That's RIGHT: the suv "drivers". There must be some mental defect that those people have that also makes suvs appealing to them!

I really like that idea of carrying spare parts to let go of on the road for assclowns that tailgate!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clammy,
Thats why I ride a little faster than traffic, splittin lanes and listening to Marylin Manson. In my book if you sit there going the same speed they'll knock you off cuz their HUA driving the SUV.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:06 AM
johnboynotbilly
Advanced

Well you see the problem is that most people in suv's are trying to compensate for something. You know' like something to small or the scared of the world complex that makes them go out and buy a tank so that they are protected.
ORIGINAL: Clammy

I definitely agree that loads of accidents are caused by unaware cagers. Any time I've ridden, I've had to have to have eyes all the way around my head... ******** cutting me off, merging into my lane while I'm beside them, riding my *** at 110 km/h, etc... even when I'm driving a car, I am always on the lookout for ****holes not paying attention... guess who most of the people that do the stupid **** are? That's RIGHT: the suv "drivers". There must be some mental defect that those people have that also makes suvs appealing to them!

I really like that idea of carrying spare parts to let go of on the road for assclowns that tailgate!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread!

Ryan

Old 03-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Pirate
Road Master

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I drive an SUV when I am caged...

What does that say about me?
--incidently I have a CDL(which just means I can drive the really big SUV's) and have been accident free since 1976

Old 03-01-2005, 02:37 PM
JSY
Advanced
Default RE: Older Fatalities!/ or new riders!

I am 55 years young and had my first accident a couple of weeks ago after riding for 30 yrs. (post -Had an Angel in my Pocket) I'm a Road Captain for my local chapter and in my opinion there are more beginning older riders because: 1. they have more leisure time, 2. disposable income, 3. Looking for something fun to do that they never have done before, but always wanted to do and 4. motorcycling might give them a feeling of being younger. I alway try to encourage al new riders to go to rider education classes, and ride with us on special days for new riders. I generally do not believe older riders with experience are a problem but inexperienced older riders lack the response time they did when they were younger. All riders need to keep improving their riding skills so as WE age, WE can continue to ride and have fun safely.

Quick Reply: Older Fatalities!