General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Older Fatalities!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:10 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Older Fatalities!

In my town i think the over 50 crowd (thats me!) rides very well, it those crazy women late for work, drivin like theyre on crack, with a cell phone stuck in theyre ear are the ones ya gotta look out for! one drug me when she squeezed me, by passin me in the same lane getting my fwd contorl peg caught in her rear wheel well opening. when she finally stopped for the red lite i taught her some new words and new meaning to old words! some of these bit*****s are crazy out there!

Old 02-28-2005, 09:52 AM
hawk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grumpy: (thats what my wife calls me) I am in the same situation you are,I don't know how long I will have my drivers license or how long I will live,(triple bypass 11 years ago and 8 stents in the last three years,I'm 71 now)I am not a new rider,I have ridden Bikes for over 50 years and I know that i'm not as sharp or as quick as I was when I was young but like you I can go fast if I want but I usually don't want to exceed the limit,I ride in excess of 1000 avg per month,I'm going to die of something sometime but I hope it won' be stupidity

Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

When Kelly and I went on the H.O.G. ride yesterday, there were a BUNCH of older riders. Male and Female. They did fine. I'm 37, and many were old enough to be my parents, I think a few might have been old enough to be my grandparents.

One particular woman cracked me up. After eating we all jumped on the bikes, she was parked next to me. She fired up her 883 sportster with bored out pipes and said, "That's what a Harley should sound like!". It was louder than my SEII slip ons...almost fell over I was laughing so hard. She sat there grinning and having a great time. Kelly and I were giggling about it last night as well.

Good times.

Mac

Old 02-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
johnboynotbilly
Advanced

I know what you mean by the suv crowd. I work at redstone arsenal in huntsville al. And they require you to attend and pass a msf before aquiring a sticker for your bike. Now you tell me what's more dangerous; A person on a bike aware of fact that the next accident may be their last or a person in an suv talking on a cell phone drinking coffee eating a doughnut and wrestling with the kids in the back at the same time. I think they are the ones that could use a driving course or two.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:50 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a "no ****" deal...I parked my FXSTC on the side walk (as usual...already had a cager back away and clip my scoot, run over it with the front wheel and drive off...$5500 in damage and the guy's pickup was unregistered!)...anyway, did my light errands and came out and was unlocking the scoot when an old guy (I'd say late 70s, maybe eraly 80s) with a red an white long "walking stick" comes out tapp, tap, tapping quickly and walking along without any significant trouble. I was going to stop traffic for him to get him across the traffic lane, but....NO!

This guy tap, tap, taps his way to a handicapped slot, gets into a white Toyota Camray, and freking drives away!!!!!

At the DMV, three elderlies who honestly were so ataxic (for the non medical types, that's very, very unsteady on the feet) and hearing impaired enough that the clerk had to shout and repeat instructions to them had licensews renewed without any kind of road performance test!

I know I am invisible on the wcoot (but not necessarily inaudible!), but here ion NM, most of the accidents, fatal or not, are caused by cagers...uninsured, DUIs, and the blue hairs migrating here from NY and FL!

Old 02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish this thread would go away, reminds me of my age.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Pirate
Road Master

Saturday I went for a ride and had this guy I would say about 50 riding up my *** for about 5 miles. I sped up he sped up, I slowed down he got as close as he could. He had plenty of opportunites to pass but I guess was content to be a Dumb ***. So we came to a Red light and he pulled up about 4 inches from my tire, and that was it.

I put the kickstand down, got off the bike and walked back to his door. He stared straight foward and would not acknowledge me. I then walked to the rear and wrote down his tag number, then back to his door and pounded on his window. He cracked it just enough to hear me tell him if he continued to ride my ***, I would make it my mission in life to learn him the true meaning of regret. Got back on my bike, and rode off. He stayed back about 3 car lengths from that point on.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:55 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent move pirate! Had a similar happening a couple of years ago...used to commute 24 miles on I-25 each AM and it seems you are usually traveling with the same folks on a daily commute like that. Any, this 40ish, died red hair babe ina Rivera tailgated me like that for three or four days. I motioned to her numerous times to back away or pass me...no joy. The end of the week, there she was...and I had a spark plug (old filthy one)....amazing how you can pitch a sprak plug straight up, ride[:@] under it and...well...you know!

Old 02-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

nmfxstc
LOL, friend said he used to ride with a guy that would carry old nuts and bolts in his jacket pocket. When they would tail gate he would just bounce a couple down on the pavement.

Quick Reply: Older Fatalities!