General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Hi all, TC 96 my typical project can't be done.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016 | 02:03 AM
aladinslamp
|
Stage III
Default Hi all, TC 96 my typical project can't be done.

ld love to thank the HD members who make this forum possible,,,, I am not a motor cycle guy but some one who has confabulated lots of things, mechanic back round,,, so A project fell into my hands and just have to finish it..... I recently bought a E147s5b Paughco softail springer "easyrider " frame with the springer front end....it is a Panhead/ shovelhead frame , and supposed to be able to put a EVO motor in it......so I bought a twin evo motor on craigs list... which I find is not an evo motor but a 2011 twin cam 96 cubic inch "A" motor which just barley will not fit.but I think I can get into the paughco frame which is a 1998 fxsts softail style frame....
my main concern is what transmission should I be going with to fit this frame, I am thinking of an ultima 6 speed....and an open belt drive although it was a chain drive(Motor) originally....with a baker 6 speed which was said to be a bit to wide and wouldn't fit properly into this frame, can I get away with the Ultima 6 speed....the other main concern is the 2011 motor has a different spline that the evo's and what or how can I connect the motor and transmission
I have ordered the Vulcan 4805 adapter plate to get the motor to mount onto the frame so If I get the motor onto this frame I'm not sure what I need to get the chain/belts and transmission to rear wheels together
also its not a 250 wheel I will be using it will be an 18 x 5.5 stock rear wheel. Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated...

Old 10-12-2016 | 05:29 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

You couldn't tell the difference between an Evo and a Twin Cam, and the guy selling it advertised a Twin Cam as an Evo????

Can you get your money back?

Old 10-13-2016 | 12:08 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Twin Cam engine & transmission in a Pan/Shovel frame is never going to bolt right up.

You have 3 choices:

1) Sell the frame and buy the correct one.
2) Sell the engine and buy the correct one.
3) Keep throwing money at it until you sell everything just to get rid of it.

Old 10-15-2016 | 07:50 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

You will need a offset motor plate adapter to fit the primary. The easiest bet would be to use a belt drive from a company like bdl. You can use a pulley from the newer style crank with the rear clutch hub. Then it will be all about aligning everything. You will need to measure the gap between the motor and whatever inner primary you are usin once the transmission is bolted up to the innerprimary. Then you order the spacer. A ultima six speed (left side drive) will work for what you are after if it's an evo style case (softail style) and depending on what type of transmission mounts your frame has you may need to order a transmission adapter plate to mount the tranny to the frame. Feel free to ok me for any other needed info. Pictures would help you a ton in this case if you posted some up

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:53 AM
aladinslamp
|
Stage III

Thanks for all your comments...I did just receive the Vulcan 4805 adapter plate and WITH NO MODIFICATIONS.....ITs sitting in the frame .YES....
for those who haven't heard of this adapter its a twin cam adapter plate that cuts the engine and transmission in have, effectively cutting it in half and sealing the engine so its like a pan/shovelhead type motor..
MISFITJASON......thanks for advising me of some of the offset stuff things I need to work on.......First of all it is sitting within the frame with no modifications, which I was concerned about.even the exhaust(rear head)
i thought would hit the post. as of now it looks like the clearanceis good to install the exhaust pipes. but that is just as the motor sits within the frame which looks good...... I do thank alll who have the time for input...Gene now its up to using the ultima 6 speed trany and allingment.....hope the pictues come into this site as it will help you help me LOL.. I need it....thanks all.... PH 406-794-8531

Last edited by aladinslamp; 10-20-2016 at 02:01 AM.