General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2015 street bob fxdb too much oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016 | 10:39 PM
DYNA5994
|
Stage II
Default 2015 street bob fxdb too much oil consumption

Hey guys! New to the forum! My names Danny! Need your opinions!

Bought my 2015 DYNA about 8 months ago, I love it. Tons of power and a blast to ride. However I have noticed I slowly states consuming way too much oil and it seems to have gotten worse. Made an appointment at Harley where I live tomorrow but wanted some opinions!

Here's the story! About 800 miles into the break in before my 1000 mile service which Harley did I noticed when checking my oil I was a quart low. Topped it off only filling it to the half way point between full and low kept riding Harley did the service and they said everything was great with the bike! Figured it was consuming some during the break in due to Pistons and valves seating and all that good stuff. Almost forgot I installed Vance and Hines big radius 2 into 2 and vo2 air cleaner with fp3 tuner at 800 miles about also. Bike runs strong and hard never misses a beat. I continue riding on weekends when I usually ride. Was planning on doing oil change myself at 2500 miles and switching to the redline lineup.
One day I noticed the bike is ticking.. Not the normal ticks I always hear but much louder and consistent with the rpms. Checked the oil in another quart low. This was at about 2000 miles. Topped it off again and rode it till 2500. Oil wasn't a quart low when I went to do the oil change myself but was a bit under what I had put in it. I always noticed I used to spit what I thought was more than normal out the breathers but never thought too much about it would just always keep filter clean. So fast forward now at 3000 miles after doing a 3 hole oil change myself with redline oil. I put 20-50 in it and bike starts to tick again. Took it home and it's a quart low. Did the same thing filled it up half way between full and low when cold and kept on riding. At 3300 miles just 300 miles later I'm a quart low again. And have now switched to the screaming eagle stage 1 air cleaner. I topped it off and it's already lost about half that quart about 3 days after filling. I have checked my plugs there not covered in oil they actually look almost perfect. The bike does not blow smoke whatsoever and the breather doesn't seem to be spitting out too much oil. I have no leak, it's garage kept and never one drop of oil! I have no idea where the oil is going. Please help! I'm open to anything you guys have to say. This is my first Harley but I don't think this is normal.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2016 | 11:55 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

Are you checking your oil when motor is hot or cold? Also checking it on the sidestand?

Old 05-17-2016 | 12:19 AM
DYNA5994
|
Stage II

I've checked it both hot and cold, both read low. And yes it's on the stand when I check it.

Old 05-18-2016 | 01:35 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

Have your Harley mechanic do compression and leak down test. See if anything is going on with the valves and rings.