General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Street glide vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:25 AM
Laronda45
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide vibration

Have A 2011 street glide with 6,000 miles. Dragged it one day from a stop light and after that started getting a vibration in the floor boards around 2200 to 2800 rpms. Bad enough to make my feet go numb. Harley place said it was a bad crank. Put a new motor in it still same problem. Also new compensator and chain tensioner. Any help appreciated

Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So the dealer said "Bad Crank", how did they determine that? I'm also curious as to why when the diagnosis was "Bad Crank" the solution was "New Motor" instead of "New Crank". Was the replacement motor new or used? Who installed it? Vibrations can be caused by many things. If the crank was really the problem, you may have solved that issue with the new motor, but introduced a new source of vibration.

Anyways drag racing a bike not meant for it can cause many issues and they can be hard to diagnose. When going full throttle off the line all that built up energy has to go somewhere. Usually the weakest part will break first. All the following could cause excessive vibration.

Rear Tire:
  • Irregular grooves, flat spots or excessive wear causing the tire to be unbalanced. These things can be caused by doing burnouts or the tires spinning on the asphalt of the line.
  • Bent Rim or Axle.

Chain:
  • Too tight from improper adjustment
  • Improperly aligned with the transmission and rear tire.

Transmission:
  • One of the internal driveshafts are bent or broken.
  • Spun bearings.
  • Damaged gears.

Engine:
  • Bent or improperly balanced driveshaft.
  • Spun bearings.
  • Incorrect ignition timing.
  • Poorly tuned engine.

Drivetrain:
  • Engine, transmission and rear tire are out of alignment.
  • Engine or transmission mounting bolts are loose.

I would start with the easy stuff like inspecting your tires and have them rebalanced, checking the chain tension and alignment, and tune the engine. Hopefully it's something simple and you don't need a new transmission as well.

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Laronda45
Stage II

Sorry forgot to mention. Original crank was 11,000 when measured. Sold me a motor from an 2015 street glide they claimed 1500 miles. Also had new wheels and tires put on when the motor was replaced. Had another dealer look at it said it was out of alignment. They fixed it but still vibration. When I say I dragged it I wasn't full throttle just was harder then normal on it

Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 PM
popeye40
2nd Gear

I'm having the same problem with my 94 Dayna

Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Laronda45
Have A 2011 street glide with 6,000 miles. Dragged it one day from a stop light and after that started getting a vibration in the floor boards around 2200 to 2800 rpms. Bad enough to make my feet go numb. Harley place said it was a bad crank. Put a new motor in it still same problem. Also new compensator and chain tensioner. Any help appreciated
Just out of curiosity have the mufflers slid back and the mounting brackets hitting? They should be centered.