General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

'11 FXDC Dyna Handlebar Cable/Wiring Extensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 PM
RCS1991
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '11 FXDC Dyna Handlebar Cable/Wiring Extensions

Hey fellas, this is my first post/topic here so bare with me lol.

I've got a 2011 FXDC Dyna Super Glide Custom with stock bars on it (buckhorns, I believe). This Friday I'll be ordering 10" Wild 1 WO563, T Bar Drag Bars, I've been in contact with technical support from Wild1Inc and was told I would need 3" cable/wiring extensions for these handlebars but they weren't totally sure.

However, I've seen several different threads on here & elsewhere that beg to differ.

My question overall is will I need to buy a cable/wiring extension kit or will my stock cables/wires be just fine and work perfectly?

If I need the 3" extension, who will be the best company to buy from? Only ones I've seen are Burly Cable Extension kits yet don't know much of them. Any other suggestions?

...And I figured I throw in a pic of my bike for fun.

Thanks guys,

Chris.

Attached Thumbnails '11 FXDC Dyna Handlebar Cable/Wiring Extensions-dynaglidecustom.jpg  
Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a 2 inch difference in rise or more then yes, you will need extentions. Burly is nice because you get everything in one kit. I have used their kits and they work fine and I've had no issues.

Wires:
Wire may have to be cut to remove them from the existing bar. Solder and shrink wrap the extensions. Twisting the wires or using butt connectors along with electrical tape will make a bulge too big to feed back through the bars. Take pictures before you start cutting. A chain works good for fishing the wires back in

Clutch Cable:
You will have to take off your exhaust pipes to access the clutch cover and you'll have to replace the clutch fluid you lose when you take the clutch cover off. You will also have to know how to properly adjust it.

Brake Cable:
This will be the easiest. You will have to replace the brake fluid and know how to bleed brakes.

Throttle cables:
Easy to replace, but you will have to know how to properly adjust them.

Good Luck!