General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Broken Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016 | 03:54 PM
arthurn
|
6th Gear
Default Broken Tour Pak

I own a 2011 Road King. I purchased the bike in November 2010. 6 months later I installed a detachable tour pak with a luggage rack on top. I live in Maryland and ride year round. I have taken a few trips to Wisconsin, the Keys, New Orleans and occasionally I will have a T Bag on the luggage rack. Well today I was riding with nothing on the tour pak and a towel in the tour pak, I rode over a man hole cover that was slightly depressed so it created a bump. After riding over it the tour pak fell off. The tour pak broke around the attachment bracket. Has anybody seen this before? Fortunately I wasn't two up but it makes me worried about it.

Attached Thumbnails Broken Tour Pak-dsc_4504.jpg   Broken Tour Pak-dsc_4506.jpg   Broken Tour Pak-dsc_4508.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016 | 05:03 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. Glad nobody was hurt.

Old 03-06-2016 | 05:27 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

That must have been one hell of a bump!!!!

Old 03-06-2016 | 06:03 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

WOW...are you sure there was a cover on that manhole...??

Never seen that type of TP damage...sheared right off. Have you taken it in to the dealer for their assessment. Could've been a flaw in the plastic/mold process.

Old 03-06-2016 | 06:21 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member

Originally Posted by arthurn
I own a 2011 Road King. I purchased the bike in November 2010. 6 months later I installed a detachable tour pak with a luggage rack on top. I live in Maryland and ride year round. I have taken a few trips to Wisconsin, the Keys, New Orleans and occasionally I will have a T Bag on the luggage rack. Well today I was riding with nothing on the tour pak and a towel in the tour pak, I rode over a man hole cover that was slightly depressed so it created a bump. After riding over it the tour pak fell off. The tour pak broke around the attachment bracket. Has anybody seen this before? Fortunately I wasn't two up but it makes me worried about it.
ouch, no never seen this ....till today, looks like you could repair with fibreglass, but back to your question.....is the TP mounted and has all the spacers etc? Maybe the bottom is being stressed during the bolt up and the pop hole finished it off....sorry but it hard not seeing in person

Old 03-06-2016 | 06:58 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I bet that got your attention when it flew off. Never thought about a failure like that. I will be checking everytime I wash from now on.

Old 03-06-2016 | 10:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I doubt if that was caused by a single bump, but has been developing for quite a long while. If you bought it new it is certainly doing as Iceman suggests and take it all to a dealer for inspection. Those things are virtually bullet-proof IMHO! Mine is older than my bike, at almost 30 years old and still going strong - touch wood.....

Old 03-06-2016 | 10:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

That's a first ( I think ) For a minute I thought it may have been a "knock off" Tour Pack, but I see the HD warning sticker in the third picture. As others have stated, good thing no one got hurt.

Old 03-06-2016 | 10:49 AM
arthurn
|
6th Gear

I think the old tour paks were made of fiberglass. This one is ABS plastic. I took it to the dealer. No help. It broke right at the edge of the internal metal plate and not at the edge of the tour pak. I am thinking of fabricating a metal plate that will go out to the edge of the tour pak. I would epoxy the plate to the tour pak. This should move the stress to the vertical sides and not the horizontal part. My biggest concern was that I didn't have any warning. No visible cracks. No fraying of the paint. I just might have been unlucky as no one I have spoken with has ever seen this before. I am just glad I wasn't two up as I could have lost more than just the tour pak.

Old 03-06-2016 | 10:59 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Super-Glue?

Quick Reply: Broken Tour Pak